Preserving line sizes when scaling and zooming

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

janimate

Preserving line sizes when scaling and zooming

Post by janimate »

Is there a way to do this in vector layers? I have a house where the windows, doors, walls, and roof all in different sub-layers, plus I cloned this set of layers 5 times for a subdivision. In order to fix all the line sizes, I have to go to each individual layer, select all, and re-set the line sizes to some other uniform size. That's the only way I know of, and it is tedious when you have to go through so many layers.

I drew the house from one scale, but my character was drawn at another. The same line size was used for both, but the size changes when scaling and zooming. It looks messed up with thin lines for the character and super fat lines for the house in the background.
donnie

Post by donnie »

To avoid this problem your could have given each of the shapes you wanted to have the same thickness line a 'line style' (just remember to uncheck the enable fill box if its just the line you want to affect).

You can then adjust the style to adjust the thickness of all the shapes.

For the scaling/zooming make sure you have the 'scale compensation for new layers' box checked in edit/preferences. That should fix the problem with lines getting fatter/thinner when zooming camera in or out.
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

This auto-scaling of line widths is a feature. As donnie says, if you don't want it, you can turn off Edit > Preferences > Options > Scale compensation for new layers. But for your existing layers, turn off Layer Settings > General > Options > Scale compensation, then everything should behave nicely.
janimate

Post by janimate »

Thanks. That worked.