Multiple Bone Files within Switch file

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Toontoonz

Multiple Bone Files within Switch file

Post by Toontoonz »

Multiple Bone Files within a Switch file...

I have been playing with this idea of putting several bone files within a Switch file...but can´t figure out what use it would be. Each bone file would be visible as switched on and off - but what instance(s) would one want to do that?

Has anybody ever done a multiple bone files within a Switch file animation? What did you use it for?

Some brainstorming requested - I have blanked out on this one. Thanks!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Been meaning to do that for a while. The main thing I've seen it useful for is hands. Set up a Switch Layer with separate Bone layers for different hand shapes. Make a bunch. Open, closed, grasping, flat, sideways, forward, whatever, bones in all the fingers and you have a character that can do almost anything with their hands you'd want, with one rig. Drummin' fingers, pick up a glass, wave bye bye, smoke a butt, and pound the table, all in one shot. Make one set, flip a copy and put them on both arms and life should be pretty good. That's the main thing I see it useful for. The main problem is you lose the swich interpolation, but it wouldn't do that much for you in this case anyway.

I had considered it for head turns, since I tend to use a lot of bone animation for things like facial expressions, jaw movement and the like, but lately I'm really digging the kindof psuedo 3d setups for a lot of things as far as faces go. And it's kind of a pain to set up as convincingly. Hands aren't usually as much of a focus, so you can get away with more.

Any more ideas out there?

--Brian
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Assuming I understand correctly maybe muliple bone setups within a switch layer would be good to have say different dynamic settings for a character or objects bones. For example say you had a character with normal dynamic setup and when he crashed you wanted him to be rubbery, and then when he landed you want him to switch back to a 'normal' dynamics setup for the bones? Or similarly a stick hits something and you set it to 'rubbery' to have it swing wildly back and forth? Off the top of my head anyway as I haven't tried it. :)