Spherize

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PocketGoat

Spherize

Post by PocketGoat »

Synfig has some neat features. I was looking at an eye example and they used a "spherize layer" on the surface of the eye so as it moved back and forth it looks like it's moving over the surface of a sphere. I was trying to recreate this in anime studio using bones but I can't seem to get it to work.
Any ideas, people?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Try to recreate it using bones and clipping it with a mask where the spherize distortion doesn't look fine. I think that using some bones placed average from the external part of a circle abd pointing to its center and with their rotation angles goberned by a controller one would work. It would distort equally the central part of the circle and would produce some sort of spherize distortion.
If you want I can try it once I'm at home.

See the warp by bones example from Mike posted long time ago.
viewtopic.php?t=1443&highlight=warp+field
-G
PocketGoat

Post by PocketGoat »

Duh, layer translation. I was trying to translate the points of the iris and it wasn't deforming properly. Thanks for that link.
I don't quite follow your example though, if you had time it would be useful if you could create it, but it's not a big deal.
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

Spherical distortion with point motion is pretty easy. Just move the pupil further than the iris in the given direction. And for both pupil and iris, move their "trailing points" a bit further in the given direction than the other points.

Here's a simple example (updated link for easier downloading):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wnmhmy3yooq

Cheers, Nick.
Last edited by n.hurst on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arfa

Post by arfa »

Thanks for the example Nick. Very useful.

It took me a while to realise that the link doesn't need the filename and should read:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wnmhmy3yooq

cheers - arfa
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

Thanks arfa, I've revised the link.