Lip syching smoothly

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

virixproductions

Lip syching smoothly

Post by virixproductions »

you know how when you say HI it shows a picture of the mouth saying H than goes to I but than they change all the sudden is it possible to move to another mouth pose without it being so sudden like series of pictures put together in a slide show without transitions...

Note:
I have AS NON pro

Like these mouth: (look only at the mouth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GkFON5k ... r_embedded

UPDATE: it looks awsome! i will upload a video on the mouths on youtube within 2 week from now....

THANKS
Last edited by virixproductions on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go to virixproductions.webs.com!
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

If your various mouths are capable of it, you can simply turn on interpolation at the switch layer (go to Layer settings, then the Switch tab, then checkmark interpolate) and they will deform smoothly.

Note that the mouth layers need to be correctly constructed for this to work -- for smooth interpolation the normal routine is to create one mouth and then dupe this layer and move the vertices so you construct another mouth, and so on. You cannot simply use any old mouths because the number and position of verts will not match properly.
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

Also, note that you cannot tween with bitmap layer. That's impossible.
ImageImage
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Ooops -- good catch. Can't believe I didn't mention that.

(Then again, EVERYTHING I do in AS is vector -- if I wanted to use bitmaps I'd be using another program :>)
virixproductions

Thanks!

thank you everyone!
it worked!!!!!
luv ya alll.....
virixproductions

okay...

so i did it but it looks like CRAP! it looks messed ... can some one help me?????
etherpictures

Post by etherpictures »

Can you put an example of what you have so far?
virixproductions

etherpictures wrote:Can you put an example of what you have so far?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gmMso-vj8
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You have to move the points considering its position. for example, keep the lip commissure point being commissure in all the mouth poses. The same with all points, think they are translated from one position to another. If a point is part of the down lip and on other pose it's part of the other lip, it will obviously be crazy.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Yes. I wrote you about this in the PM but basically the only way to get this right is to construct one mouth first and then ONLY move the verts around in the proper order to construct the other ones.

It might help if you look at the sample mouth in AS that does this -- I call it the "hat" mouth, but it's the one for the blue guy. It will show you how to move the verts around and use multiple shapes (some hidden at times) in order to get the tongue and teeth to work properly.

Until you understand it fully your best bet is to take these mouths and modify them SLIGHTLY to suit your own purposes. Eventually you'll get the idea.
etherpictures

Post by etherpictures »

It looks like you have it working though. Just have to fine tune it.
IT might help to have 3 or 4 points on the top "lip" that stay in the same position for the most part. Then you just have to worry about the lower lip, tongue, teeth.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Ok, here is my 2 cents. When you make point each one gets it own identifier or name. We don't see it, but it is there. When you use a switch layer not only all the points have to be the same amount but they get the same names. So if you draw a oval and pull the mouse in one direction then do another oval and pull the mouse in the opposite direction. Then use a switch layer to move them over the screen, you will see that the points will go differently than what you would want. Two points will cross each other.

So what you need to do is to have the upper points of your mouth so they do not to move. On a real mouth your upper teeth are shown put they are apart of the skull. They move only with the movement of the head. The jaw moves. Try to make one mouth at rest, copy it, then move the jaw for the mouth movement along with showing the upper teeth. Each movement will be slightly different because of the phonemes used.

Dale
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Dale,

That's a great in-depth explanation -- should be preserved somewhere (I didn't have the energy to write that much :>)
virixproductions

dueyftw wrote:Ok, here is my 2 cents. When you make point each one gets it own identifier or name. We don't see it, but it is there. When you use a switch layer not only all the points have to be the same amount but they get the same names. So if you draw a oval and pull the mouse in one direction then do another oval and pull the mouse in the opposite direction. Then use a switch layer to move them over the screen, you will see that the points will go differently than what you would want. Two points will cross each other.

So what you need to do is to have the upper points of your mouth so they do not to move. On a real mouth your upper teeth are shown put they are apart of the skull. They move only with the movement of the head. The jaw moves. Try to make one mouth at rest, copy it, then move the jaw for the mouth movement along with showing the upper teeth. Each movement will be slightly different because of the phonemes used.

Dale
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
virixproductions

dueyftw wrote:Ok, here is my 2 cents. When you make point each one gets it own identifier or name. We don't see it, but it is there. When you use a switch layer not only all the points have to be the same amount but they get the same names. So if you draw a oval and pull the mouse in one direction then do another oval and pull the mouse in the opposite direction. Then use a switch layer to move them over the screen, you will see that the points will go differently than what you would want. Two points will cross each other.

Dale
I just wanted to ask how would you make a mouth form a "O" moving the top points?