Lip syching smoothly

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

Post by mkelley »

No, I'm not.

(I would explain my experience but Vern's head will explode and as tempting as that might be I don't want it on my conscience :>)
The400th

Post by The400th »

mkelley, your TV series, is it actually broadcast on a TV channel? Is a studio actually paying you to do it? Some more details would go a long way to prove you are not a "hobbyist".
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I don't need to prove anything. I was a pro animator most likely before you were diaper trained (seriously).

I am retired now, from a whole lot of things, but that does not make me an amateur.
etherpictures

Post by etherpictures »

As a hobbyist forum reader, and contributor. I think this is about the smoothest lip sync I've ever seen in a cartoon. (and creepiest) It's almost like they are real mouths. Oh wait they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnLirXjjto

At the other extreme, here is a modern example. I am pretty sure they used Adobe after effects on this one, so you know it's good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyen7VNc8g

After looking at what PG and AS can do out of the box with no tweaking. I'd say both do an excellent job of auto lip syncing. I would also submit that if it can be smoother than the second example, I would not consider it choppy.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Yep, Clutch Cargo was from MY boyhood (okay, now I have dated myself). Believe me, it was creepy back then as well (and even though we kids were more naive than young people are today, we knew exactly how they were doing it).

The best one to do a "take off" on the old CC series was Conan, when he used to do his talking heads routine (I don't know if he does it anymore -- it got too late for me to stay up for. Oh, wait, I guess he's on earlier now :>).

I also thought it was a bit creepy (not as much) and pretty silly for Gary Andersen in his series work to show real hands when doing a hands closeup -- they were so obviously not puppet like that it just broke the fourth wall.
The400th

Post by The400th »

mkelley wrote:I don't need to prove anything. I was a pro animator most likely before you were diaper trained (seriously).

I am retired now, from a whole lot of things, but that does not make me an amateur.
Putting aside the fact that you didn't actually answer my question, save your condescending remarks for Knunk, please. I was actually trying to help defend you.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I wasn't trying to be condescending, just accurate (I am assuming here you are in your 30s or younger -- if I am mistaken then I apologize. But not otherwise). I was making money with my animations before 1980 and did so for decades afterward. That should answer any questions you might have in that regard.

And while I do appreciate the thought, I don't need defending and, as I said, I don't need to prove anything. I *never* give unsolicited advice -- folks who ask for advice get it and can do what they want with it. If they don't like it it doesn't bother me in any way. If my experience and/or background is important in the consideration of that I guess that's their problem.

"Consider the source" is indeed a worthwhile evidencery test but it's far from the only one and most young folks today find it rather irrelevant. While I'm not sure I agree with that, there is a certain healthiness in the questioning of authority. I'm pretty sure that even if one of the original nine old men of Disney were here even HE would be questioned on the validity of his views.

As for my offering opinions (not advice) about AS, about the only agenda I'm trying to advance around here is its improvement -- in that regard the only person whose opinion matters to me is Mike Clifton. But I suspect whether I make any money nowadays on my animations doesn't matter to him one iota (I'll go ever further -- I suspect strongly that my opinions about AS don't matter to him one iota :>)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

The 400th - I don't like you.

MKelley - I like you.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Mkelley - No problem. I understand what you're saying. And I know you can defend yourself, but I just thought what Knunk said was inappropriate and wanted to give moral support. :D

Mikdog - Er... what? What did I do wrong? I see a fellow forum member being abused and I try to help - why does that earn your dislike? Maybe you have me confused with someone else? :?
knunk

Post by knunk »

Wow.... we're like a bunch of Knights or something. I was defending Verns honour.

We need a round table.

No offence MKelly I'm sure you're a fine fellow. I apologise.

And to you the400th.

Arguing on the internet makes me feel like such a tit! It's a very sad thing to do for someone my age.

Hey V6 is out!
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Hey, I apologize to *everyone*. Truly -- I really mean no offense. Age is no excuse, but for those of you who haven't hit AARP age yet let me tell you that being old and in pain for the rest of your life ain't exactly what most of us signed up for. Hey, if I had known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself <g>.

But... life is good. As you say, AS 6 is here (but not "out" in the official sense unless you know something I don't. Which is certainly possible -- but I keep scouring the web for any news).

And despite all the back and forth I truly think Vern and I respect each other. I certainly respect his work as an artist -- he's got more talent in his whole body than I have in my little finger. No, wait, the other way around. And I do understand his passion for AS -- I have it as well and that's perhaps why we clash so much -- folks without passion seldom get angry or extremely happy (the trick is to moderate -- everything in moderation -- but, heck, what's the fun in that?).

So I'll try not to be a cranky old man. I am truly happy I've lived long enough to have this software to play with. Things that took months and years before and a whole team of folks to do I can do by myself in weeks. That is amazing and that's what makes me most happy and if AS never got one iota better it would still be the best bang for the buck for anything I've ever bought in life. Anything.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

OK, the Geritol just kicked in!
"and then Man created god!"
The400th

Post by The400th »

No offence taken, from anyone. It's all water under the bridge.

Group hug, everybody! :D

Well, except Mikdog still doesn't like me. :cry: