Cusp?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Macy

Cusp?

Post by Macy »

Is it possible to make a cusp point? So that one side is a straight line and the other side is curved. Or so it's possible to make a point into a crescent (for lack of a better way to describe!). The peak will make straight lines of both sides, and then making a point further along into a curve kind of makes the other point work like a cusp, but I just wondered if I was missing a function that just makes a point a cusp directly.

Thanks for any help!
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hi. I'm new and while not familiar with the term cusp as relates to vectors I believe I get what you want. As far as I can tell there is no way to create say a a line 'ABC' and set 'B' as Peak, and have segment AB be straight and segment BC be curved with just the three points. However you can draw a straight line and add a point in the middle of the segment you want to be curved and move the point to draw a curve. In other words you need at least three points to define a curve.

More experienced forum guys correct me if I am wrong. :)
Toontoonz

Try this!

Post by Toontoonz »

If I understand you correctly....

Try this: Using the "Add Point" (use key A) tool draw a line with three points. (With the mouse: click, drag, click, drag.)

Select the middle point (point 2) and click the "Smooth" button (use key M). The entire line will curve, bow out a bit.

Then on either points 1 or 3, select the one point using the "Select Points" tool (use key G).
Then click on the "Peak" button (use key P).

Next Using the "Add Point" tool (use key A) draw a line draw a line from that point.
Ta-dah!!!
On one side of the point you just worked on it will be curved, the other side straight.
myles

Post by myles »

Alternatively, building on Toontoonz's advice, just draw a 4-point line, then peak the second point.

Regards, Myles..
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Macy

Post by Macy »

Hi, thanks for the replies. I haven't been able to play with it again since posting until now.

Yeah, that must be the best way to go about it. I sort of stumbled upon that, but wasn't getting it right every time, so I thought maybe I was missing something. But always doing it as a 4-point line and peaking the second point seems to work. Thanks!

I guess I'm used to the tools in Corel Draw. There's line, curve, and then cusp as an actual option.