how do i make a character lift a weight?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

salp42

how do i make a character lift a weight?

Post by salp42 »

If he is looking at the camera how would i make the movement of him lifting a weight. (I am thinking about translating points to do it but i was wondering if there was an easier way with bones). And he is curling the weight.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

If he is "looking forward" or it's a front view and you want to show foreshortening of the arms you could do this with either point motion or bone scaling.

For example the arms hang down to pick up the weight. As the arms come up to "curl" the forearms will appear shorter towards the camera due to perspective. You would key the scale of the bones that control the forearms so they appear shorter, then key them again as they "uncurl".

-vern
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Can you get any reference photos to help you?

I'm sure you could get something off the web,
but if you have a mate you can go to the gym
with and get a few shots with your camera or
something.

Off the top of my head I'd use bones with
foreshortening like Vern is saying, but thinking
about the hands which might go from palm
to camera curling right up to show the back of
the hand, you might want to look at that and
do point motion for them or a switch layer or
something.

But I'd have a look at ref pics first, to see what
you need to get before you start.

(PS edit, I can't draw things from memory
particularly well (that means I'm crap) so I work
with as much photo reference material as I can.)
Genete

Post by Genete »

For me the most important thing to consider in a "make a character lift a weight" question is to make the viewer feel the weight of the mass being lifted. For example delaying the lift moment from the pull up moment and enlarging the arms of the character for 5 or 6 frames (to give the impression of tension in the arms). After that keep in mind the inertia of the mass (possibly with a up-down movement)
Also, add some effort expressions in the character face and some balancing on the body (to keep the elevated mass center in place). Last, you can also prepare the character and do some anticipation movements before lift the weight.

Consider how many times would your character lift the weight. If it is only one time it will be good to do not use much bones.

Remember, make it comic. Even in a drama animation comic is always welcome.