The three most confusing anime studio obstacles in my path

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

SJHooks wrote:I hope so too. There really should be an eyedropper tool to pick up colors on the canvas in version in AS 6, I mean, I can't tell you how many times I had to color an object but I lost the original color and had to go find the exact rgb coordinates to get the same color tone and then have to do it all over again...
meanwhile, I use Pixie. It's for windows and makes just what you want, no more, no less. Whit Control+Alt+C it copies the color code wherever mouse is on and then you can paste it on AS. It makes all easier.

I'm happy your animation are getting better, when you have something to show, don't doubt to post it here.
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Ok, I've finished 1/4th of the head turn. I think I did most of the animation right, but when it came to the hair, it got hard! Here's the URL if anyone wants to point out something I did wrong (there's two, one for 60 fps, and one for 24)

24 fps: http://www.mediafire.com/?zdm3zuytay2

60 fps: http://www.mediafire.com/?ylmgryxdotz

PS: realsnake, is that head turn you made using layer ordering and point animation or frame by frame?
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

point animation, layer ordering and masking.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d4zzdmzjezz .anme file
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

SJHooks wrote:There really should be an eyedropper tool to pick up colors on the canvas in version in AS 6, I mean, I can't tell you how many times I had to color an object but I lost the original color and had to go find the exact rgb coordinates to get the same color tone and then have to do it all over again
You should start using "Named Styles". If you have a certain fill and stroke you use all the time in a project make it a style and you will never "lose it".

In the style palette there is an option to create a new style and give it a name. You set the color of the fill, stroke, effects etc. Now you can select any shape at any time and apply that same style to it by choosing the style in one of the two pull down menus at the bottom of the style palette.

Now if you change that saved style later it updates ALL the shapes that use that style in one shot. I hardly ever use styles directly in the shape itself anymore. I try to use as many named styles as possible. It is a huge time saver.

There is also a new tool or script someone created recently that can globally change colors in shapes to change the overall "mood" or appearance.

On the topic of "scripting" don't be afraid to take advantage of some of these "scripts". Especially Fazek's "replacement" tools (which are far better than the tools that come with AS). You don't have to know scripting to take advantage of them. I remember when I first started using AS (moho) I thought "scripting" was this scary advanced "thing". In reality it's only scary and advanced if you want to create your own scripts. Using someone else's is simple... relatively simple of course. ;)

-vern
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Very interesting that you mention masking, but that doesn't sound like the style for me. Thanks for telling me of a good solution, but I think selgin's solution works better for animations that have many features to them, such as if you ever look at that post for that solid snake 1/4th head turn. Personally, I don't think a mask would be the best thing for an animation with a lot of detail. Good idea though... I've considered it before but never knew how to make it work, thanks anyways

PS, Heyvern, I never got the use of styles, but I guess I should :D. Sometimes, like when you're coloring a background with a lot of content, I don't think I can make a style for each coloring scheme... Either way, you're right, I really should make start using styles... :P
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

My current workaround is to render a picture and load it up as a swatch. I use Magical Glass sometimes when the swatch is just too small to pick the right color.

viewtopic.php?t=12965

Dale
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

SJHooks: Impressive head turn already. It looks like you have at least some animation experience.

However, you need to take care of volumes if you work in this style. The ears are rotating faster than the head right now.

There's a trick to find the correct positions for that. Create a layer with just the head and ears seen from above. Place this above the head so it matches vertically. Rotate this layer (arouond the correct pivot point). Now you can always draw a vertivacal from this guide layer down to your side view and place parts horizontally.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

slowtiger wrote:There's a trick to find the correct positions for that. Create a layer with just the head and ears seen from above. Place this above the head so it matches vertically. Rotate this layer (arouond the correct pivot point). Now you can always draw a vertivacal from this guide layer down to your side view and place parts horizontally.
Nice tip, slow -- thanks!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is common inbetweener's knowledge in traditional animation ...
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just woke up... I guess I'm not an early bird :P . Anyways, good idea slowtiger! I never thought of using a model to keep track of the head turn. I'm gonna try putting that idea of yours to work. I'm just gonna do several more head turns, and then when I got the hand of it all, then I'm gonna try body turns, and I guess after that particles and stuff.

Thanks for all the help!

-SJHooks

PS, I finally made my avatar, but it looks pretty messy because I had to change its format many times to get it to be less than 6Kb (its like 1.6 now). I have the other formats, but its k, I'll improve it later
El Samo

Post by El Samo »

Heyvern, a dumb question: AS standard has no "scripts" menu. Does that mean that you can't use scripts in that version?
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Hey realsnake, I just noticed: Nice new avatar!

PS: Is that drebin's monkey? Cuz if not, that is freaky!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

El Samo,

You can use any script in AS standard. But since it doesn't have a script menu, menu scripts need to be used as buttons in the tool window.

:wink:
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

SJHooks wrote:Hey realsnake, I just noticed: Nice new avatar!

PS: Is that drebin's monkey? Cuz if not, that is freaky!
Yep! he's Drebins monkey from MGS 4