storybook foldout

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DaleG

storybook foldout

Post by DaleG »

Im trying to do a storybook popup.

I have my project set up with a background room, and 3 layers of people (1 in front 2 behind and 2 behind them). I also have a white cutout behind the people in the group so that it will look like they are on a white paper background when folded over. I will probably move each layer slight behind the other in the z axis also?

How do I fold each layer forward down the middle so it looks like they are bending as the book is closing. Can I mask it so the bottom half doesnt move and only the top half of each layer folds down individually? How do I get just the top half of each layer to rotate forward down the middle?
thanks

(I saw something similar near just before the credits in the movie enchanted.. or similar to the credits in the movie bedtime story)

thanks
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You can't fold or bend layers in AS. If you perform any 3D operation, it affects a layer as a whole.

If you want to, say, fold an image, you need to cut the image in half first, put each half in its own layer, and now rotate one of them to create the bend. To make your life easier, take care to place the bottom edge of the image exactly at the origin of the layer. Also you need to build a hierarchy of nested group layers (or bone layers in AS Standard) to be able to "fold" stuff.

Instead of cutting images you can of course mask the parts that should not show on a certain layer. I just gave it a try, here's the result:
http://www.slowtiger.de/examples/fold.html

The layer hierarchy is like this:
group layer
- image (bottom)
- mask
- group layer
- - image (middle
- - mask
- - group layer
- - - image (top)
- - - mask
Last edited by slowtiger on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleG

Post by DaleG »

I found a workaround that will do.. I can rotate the layer so it folds from the center, and just cover the bottom half up with a layer on top of the bottom half.

How do I duplicate the layer and mask out the top half so I can place a partial copy of the bottom half of the original layer to cover the bottom half that remains stationary? I dont really understand masks..

( I tried taking the original picture into photoshop, cutting off the top half and putting it on top.. but the bottom half shows up a little darker. otherwise.. this technique works.. but Id rather try it with the layer duplicated and masked)

thanks
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Ah, crossposting. You were too fast ...

Duplicating: mark a layer and click the little "layer with the plus sign" on top of the layer palette.

Masking: see elsewhere in this forum, please. (One day I really should make this a text macro ...)