Select a shape so i can fill it...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CrAzY Dan

Select a shape so i can fill it...

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Hi!
I am trying to select a shape so that i can fill it with colour, but it isn't letting me. It doesn't have the small red boxes inside it, it has just a red outline around it. It would be easier if i posted a picture, but i dont know how to.
If you know what i mean please help me.

CrAzY Dan :lol:
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

The problem might be that your shapes isn't closed. Check for holes in it.

If thats not the problem: Is it just a simple shape, or does it have seperat lines within it? If you make a circel and add a line between two of the points, and then select all points to make a shape, it wont work. A shape may not have shapes within it. If you want a line connected to a shape at two places, within a shape, you have to select just the point that build the shape, individually, and then select the seperat line and fill it. If this isn't understandabul (and I have a feeling that it isn't), please tell me and I'll try to give a better explenation.

Hope that helps!
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

i dont wanna be to much trouble but can you explain it a bit clearer please?
Thanx
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Ok, I made an exampel that might make it easier for you to understand.

Oh, I just noticed that I've made a misstake. The text to shape C should be:

"Here I just selected the circle and filled it, but without an outline. That created a red fill, with no outline. After that I selected all the points - the circle and the added line - and filled them. That created the same shape as shape B. Together we now have a red circle with shape B above it."

Note that the same thing would happen if the added line was drawn outside of the circle. Moho just cannot work with double-shapes.

Hope that's more understandabul. If not, don't be afraid to ask again.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Thanx for the better explanation.
How do you get images onto the post because then i can show you what i would like to fill in.
Thanx

CrAzY Dan :wink:
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

What you need to post images is a place to upload them. There are several free ones out there:

http://www.geocities.com (I personally recommend Geocities)
http://www.0hosts.com (This one contains alot of links to different free webhosts)

Once you've uploaded the file you write it's URL in your post (in Geocities that will be something like "http://www.geocities.com/your-username/your-image.jpg"). Select the images URL, here in the forum, and press the "Img"-button.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Here it is:
http://www.z3gang.bravehost.com/sb.html
Things that need to be coloured in: The head (pink) The band (red/blue) and The hair (yellow)

Thanx
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

My guess is that those shapes are not welded closed. For example, the hair looks like a closed shape, but somewhere along the outline are two points that are line dup, but not actually welded together. Mhoo requires a shape to be fully closed before it can be filled.

Can you post the Moho file to your webpage? Then I could find the exact problem points.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

This is odd. I must say that I can't see why it isn't working.

If you select all of the points that are red in i the image, adn try to create a shape, it dosn't work?

The only solution I can see is that the shape somehow isn't closed. Are you sure that all the points are connected to eachother? Did you draw the head by making a circle and then adding points to build the hair, or did you use the freehand-tool? First make sure that there isn't a glap somewhere in the shape - that the shape is a completly closed shape. If you want to put two dead-ends together, in order to create a closed shape, you cant only put them together. You have to select the point you want to bind and press spacebar. It will then bind itself to the closest point.

If there isn't any glap, and the shape is closed; can you post the moho file? Then I surely can locate, and find a solution to, the problem.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

I have made 2 sites and none of them will let me upload a .moho extension at all!
What do i do now?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

CrAzY Dan wrote:What do i do now?
Email the file to support@lostmarble.com
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

I've sent you the file. The name/subject of the e-mail is CrAzY Dan Moho Problem.
Last edited by CrAzY Dan on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

OK, here's the problem and the solution. First, download this file - it will help illustrate the problem:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/Super-Boy-Problem.moho

This file has four copies of just the head portion of the character. Head #1 is the original head from Crazy Dan's file.

In Head #2, I selected all the points and smoothed them. It isn't really necessary to smooth them, but it shows us the problem. Between the top two points of the head (where the head and the hair join up), there are two connecting lines. When you try to fill the head or the hair, these lines appear to Moho as a double border. Even though the two curves seem to line up right on top of each other, the situation is almost exactly like the one Hiddicop illustrated earlier (his figure B).

To fix this, look at Head #3. On this copy of the head, I took the original head and deleted just one of the double connecting lines using the Delete Edge tool. If you delete both by accident, just add a new, single one back in using the Add Point tool. The hair and head are no longer ambiguous to Moho and can be filled.

Head #4 has the same structure as #3, but I went ahead and filled it to show it can be done.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

WOW! Thanks Lost Marble!!!!
I will add you into the credits at the end of the toon :D !
Thanks Again!

CrAzY Dan 8)