My hands are falling off..!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mixelmagic

My hands are falling off..!

Post by mixelmagic »

A bit of a newbie question.. I know I'm doing something stupid at the moment, but I can't fathom what it is. :)

I've half-made a character model with bones.. I've used the same hand switch layer on two other characters with no problems (the layer is bound to the wrist bone). But when I rotate the hand bone on this new model, the hand veers off to one side and away from the arm.

I'd better show you what I mean..

I tried resetting all the origins, restarted the bones from scratch etc, but i don't seem to be able to shake it. Sorry, it's probably something obvious, just frustrating as i can't see what I've done differently.

Here she is anyway: http://mixelmagic.com/fifisend.moho[/img]
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

As the entire hand is binded to a single bone, and not by vector-points, there will be a problem if the bones orgin (not the bone-layers orgin - the individuall bones orgin (The point around which it rotates)) isn't inside the hand. The hand will rotate as if you rotated the hand-switchlayer around a orgin-point a bit outside of the hand. Move the hand-bone so that its orgin (which is the cross - the point where the bones to inner lines meet) is at the point that you wish to rotate the hand around, and then move the hand-switchlayer to its right position. Then it will work.

Hope that helps!
mixelmagic

Post by mixelmagic »

Woo!

Thanks a lot. That was pretty daft of me. :)

Problem solved, her hands no longer fall off.