Eyes on 3D head

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nimphaea

Eyes on 3D head

Post by Nimphaea »

Hello everybody,

I have made a 3D head of a little bear, without eyes and mouth. What I want to do is animate the eyes and the mouth (which are on their own layers) on the imported 3D (obj) head.

Now I'm having difficulties getting the eyes behind the nose and in front of the head. In 3D space, I've placed them exactly in the right place. So when I look from right / left / up, it looks fine. The eyes are in the right spot on the head. But when I look through the camera, the eyes are in front of the nose...

I you want to see what's happening, you can take a look at my problem in screenshots here:

http://www.flashanimatie.com/projects/as/

Hopefully somebody here can help me. Thank you very much in advance...!
Last edited by Nimphaea on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

In your group or bone layer that contains these layers, you probably want to enable 'Sort layers by depth'. Normally without this enabled they render in order of how they are stacked in the layers window. 'Sort by depth' uses the z-axis values you enter.

Depth sorting disables animated layer ordering, since they're basically two ways to get the same effect. But in your case of aligning to a 3D object, it is probably the best option.
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

Hi synthsin75, thank you very much for your quick reply!

I immediately checked if I had activated this option, and it already was... So unfortunately it did not yet solve my problem. Hopefully there will be a solution...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Oh, I see the problem. I assume your bears head and nose are a single 3D object? Even though it is 3D it only exists at one depth relative to the other layers. There is no way to get a vector layer 'in between' two parts of a 3D object.

You'll need to either separate that 3D object into two parts (head and nose) or mask the pupils.
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

Thank you very much synthsin75! With your advice I've solved my problem. Now everything looks fine!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad to hear it. What solution did you use?
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

Hi,

I seperated the head into 3 (!) parts. It works great!