tracing techniques (specifically - opacity of tracing image)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

reelsteve

tracing techniques (specifically - opacity of tracing image)

Post by reelsteve »

Hello,

trying to trace characters (after getting frustrated with .AI importing).
when I 'import tracing image', the opacity is too low to catch a lot of the detail work in the graphic. Alternatively, when I import the image to an image layer and adjust opacity, I can't see the opacity setting while I work real time. Wondering if the wizards could chime in on master quality tracing tips.

Many thanks,
steve
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I take the ref image into photoshop and drop the opacity a little there, to about 70%, but give it a go and see what you're happy with.

I'll usually bring in full opacity and the lower opacity tracing ref,
so I have both in the file for reference.

The short answer to your question-
Trial and error
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I usually bring my reference image in as an image layer and then put a vector layer above it with a white rectangle covering the image area. I usually set the vector layer's opacity at 40%, but change it as needed for details. :wink:
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I'm probably alone but I don't bother with opacity or anything. I just bring in my vector layer above the image layer and turn the vector display off. You can still see construction lines on your objects, just not the fills, so it's easy to trace that way.

I periodically turn on the layer to check how things looked filled or when I need to actually create the object (Q). But otherwise I leave it turned off until the tracing is done.
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

I used to take pictures of trees then trace them in AS later on. I would import the image file and have it over my vector layer, but I have the vector layer selected. I'm guessing it works the same way as mkelley's technique.
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I use the white vector layer box trick myself. I ALSO turn off the layer to view just construction curves.

this combination is the most comfortable to do tracing. Many times the image is too dark and heavy to see the construction curves clearly. You can't judge the over all curve with the image too strong.

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

I do the same as both Vern and Synth, works a treat.
reelsteve

Post by reelsteve »

Guys....many thanks for chiming in. Very cool to have such an active forum for anime studio. Just started working with this program (and animation in general). I'm a long time audio nerd and it can take a week to get a decent reply on some of the logic audio forums.

see you around!

steve
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Doh. I think Chuck actually suggested that trick to me some time ago,
but I'm a "late adopter".
That's the polite way of explaining it anyway.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

If I'm doing a lot of tracing, I use a Walcom with the left controls set at, zoom for the slider, one button to add point, one undo, one peek, and the button on the stylist will push and pull the work area. It takes awhile to get used to the pushing and lifting motion. Once you get good at it, tracing is a breeze.

Dale
reelsteve

Post by reelsteve »

slightly OT as it is more a tool question regarding tracing complex objects.

I seem to be either:

-making mini shapes (using a circle or rectangle tool) - then tweaking those shapes into a sub sections of my graphic by translating, adding points as necessary (e.g. a collar of a shirt)
OR
-using the freehand tool.

I keep finding my brain fantasizing that I could use the "add a point" tool to do some rapid fire "dotting" around the outside border of things, then select and turn the pattern into a shape.
Any other techniques or methods I am missing ?
I went thru all the tutorials (incredibly helpful) so I think I'm down to sponging off the tribal elders and clocking a bunch of hours getting used to the tools and workflows in ASP.

Thanks !
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Not sure I follow all that, But I always use the add point tool for tracing. I rarely need a hand-drawn look, and really like the ability to optimize my points.

:wink:
reelsteve

Post by reelsteve »

how do you turn points (added with add a point tool) into a connected shape ?
chucky

Post by chucky »

check the weld option at the top of your screen , left.
Then complete the shape by switching to the big kidney shaped tool, selecting the shape- it goes chequered /coloured and the pressing the space bar, or have the auto fill on the create shape tool as well as the weld tool.
reelsteve

Post by reelsteve »

Got it.
works great.

question.
If you have a number of orphaned points (no lines connecting), is there anyway to connect them together?

When I select them and try to make a shape, no go.