frame 1 to frame 0

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mags

frame 1 to frame 0

Post by mags »

hi,

i've drawn a man standing and walking, each into a different file. now, what i want to do, is that the man stands for a few frames and then starts walking. but when i move the walking ones "dots" in the timeline, the first step of the "walking" lasts longer but still begins at frame 1.
the problem is, that frame 0 in the file where the man walks, is copied from the file where the man stands. so they are different.
if i copy the first frame to frame zero, it places the bones as i wished, but the rest of the man stays the same.
so can i make some other (for example "first") frame to be frame zero?

well... i dont know if someone understood my problem here, but thanks anyway.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

copy all keys of frame 1 and paste them at the frame where you want the action to start, now you got a hold at the beginning. Or, Set all keys at frame 1 to "step", the first position now stays static during it's lenght.
mags

Post by mags »

thank you, it helped.
but is there still a possibility to copy from frame 1 to frame 0 somehow?
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Yes there is!
Go to the animation tab and select ' Copy Current Frame...'
You can then chose which properties to copy.

I'm forever accidentaly doing changes in the main time-line rather than frame 0 so I use this a lot :D
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

One other thing to point out here is that frame 0 isn't part of your animation, it is just a frame where you lay out your character. The animation starts at #1.
mags

Post by mags »

thank you for your help.
i did so about 20 times before asking it here. it still doesnt work.

edit:
ok, heres how i try to do it. i have drawn a man (including his skeleton) standing in the frame 0. now i create frame 6 and change the position of one leg for example. pressing "play" makes the leg move as i wanted.
what i am trying to do, is to copy that frame 6 to frame 0.
i leave the timeline stopped to frame 6 and choose animation--> copy current frame... "copy to frame 0", then i mark all the options what i have made changes in and press ok.
it moves only bones, the rest of the man stays the same.
and now the points of the leg are still attatched to the bone, but the bone is moved. so everything is kinda wrong.

maybe i've left something important undone before that copying?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Like someone else said frame 0 is kind of a "special" frame. On frame 0, when you move bones, then nothing that is attached to them will move - that's what you're seeing. The reason is that you need a way to set up the bones' initial setup without moving moving around the attached artwork.

For what you're doing - setting up a bone pose for the first frame of the animation, you should copy frame 6 back to frame 1, not frame 0. Don't think of frame 0 as part of your animation - think of it as a special setup and drawing frame.
mags

Post by mags »

thanks. now i can stop trying to do it. :D