any tips on how to get things running faster?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Zaphod

any tips on how to get things running faster?

Post by Zaphod »

Hiya, I was hoping someone out there may have a bunch of tips on how to keep moho from running slowly. I'm using an older G4 mac here, 10.2, i think the processor is like 400mhz. it's great for running Final Cut and whatnot but rendering animation on Moho takes hours for 10 second clip with a bunch of layers. If there's anything I can do to speed things up it would help a lot.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I'm still a noob so take it for what it's worth but one thing that helps is when you are ready for the final animation turn you can render some of the layers as static png images or even movies -like your sky and the hills in the distance for example and then add these in and hide the vector version of what you rendered. For example do you really need 10 layers to represent those distant hills and sky or can you render it as one png and add it back as a single image layer. At least in my little tests it seems like it can be faster if you have lots of layers.

Hope this makes sense. :)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Here are some tips to speed up playback within Moho:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=935

To speed up rendering, try some of the options in the Export Animation dialog. For example, rendering at half the frame rate or half the dimensions will go faster, although that's really only useful for creating a quick preview.
cribble

Post by cribble »

What i always do is resize the render window until all you see is the progress bar. It works for me. I don't know why but everything just speeds up alittle. Does this work for anyone else?
--Scott
cribble.net
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Yes, that does speed things up. When you hide the rest of the window, Moho doesn't have to display the frame as it is drawn, so the render is a bit faster. It's also a little faster to use the batch renderer rather than the normal one.