moving water

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Darkslide

moving water

Post by Darkslide »

hi, how can i do a effect of moving water?
please help me! :shock:
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Oh, there are plenty of ways, all depending on the kind om movement you want.

Here's an exampel I made:

To animate this I would select all points in the water-layer and add a wavy-effect (Scripts -> Warp -> Wavy). That would look great, and perhaps adding a animated noise to the fill and outline of the layer (in the layer properties). Though it's a lot harder making bigger waves, so they get closer to the camera. You could seperate the water-layer into severel layers and rotate them in 3D. That would work, but it's a lot of work.

Or, you could just rotate the entire layer in 3D so it tipping in different directions, and you could compine this with the wavy effects.

If you want it to look nice, looking from the side, I recommend that you watch "Good Spirit Song" in the moho-gallery.

If you want more suggestions, and more precise ones, please give us a bit more information about what kind of water you want to animate.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

My suggestion would be to use a bitmap image and add bones to that and wiggle them. Bones with images turn Moho to a morph/warping program.

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
mel

Post by mel »

soo ?
how have you finally done ?
im interested into making a waving effect too , i have to incrust a sea into a landscape but id like it to be realistic
i think i can draw a square wich i color into blue with a Splotchy effect ? and then i can create a perspective with the rotate layer ...? and try the Waving effect ..? better ideas?
(thats quite important, its for my diploma )

XxX
***mel***
mel

Post by mel »

by the way, i have a question :

why as i export this anim as Swf i cannot see the texture of the splotchy effect, whereas it appears when i export into .avi ??

the result is not fantastic anyway :/
***mel***
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

soo ?
how have you finally done ?
im interested into making a waving effect too , i have to incrust a sea into a landscape but id like it to be realistic
i think i can draw a square wich i color into blue with a Splotchy effect ? and then i can create a perspective with the rotate layer ...? and try the Waving effect ..? better ideas?
(thats quite important, its for my diploma )
Well, I can give you some suggestions.

1. I've written a tutorial for this on an other post, and here it is:
Hiddicop wrote:How to make a hill
A complete tutorial

1. The first thing you do is to draw a simple square that covers the entire output area. Select all it's points and fill it.

Use a gradient effect, and make the effect-window look something like this:

Add a "Splotchy"-effect and use the magnitude 24 and scale 1. It should look like this:

Render the file, and you should come up with this:

2. I deleted the vector-layer that I just drew and imported the image-layer that I renderd. (You can save the image above and use it if you want to try this yourself). I put the orgin-point on the bottom of the image, and in the middle horisontily. I rotated the image 60 degrees with the "Rotate Layer X"-tool. I scaled the layer horisontily so that it coverd the output-areas witdh. I renderd it and came up with this:

You can save this image and use it yourself, if you want to try to make a hill.

3. I added some bones and changed their strength. I added them at the edges of the image so that the bones that I later on would add wouldn't effect the images edges, causing very odd effects. It should now look like this:

I added some more bones (you can add how many you want. The more the better - smoother - effect). None of the bones I added have any parents, or children. You can modify their strength. The more strenght they have, the larger the area they effect will be.

For me it now looked like this (though if you added more bones it of course will look different):

I translated and rotated the bones a little, and there is the hill:

4. I added a sprucetree and a gradient-filled sky, and here's how it looks.

Hope that helps!

P.S
These images might not work so good together with the moho-files, so you'll maybe have to make your own examples. But that shouldn't be so hard.
I'm sure you can apply this to water, making good waves. This is the method I would use.

2. Download the moho-file and the image-file under the "WaterRipple Files" at this URL:

http://www.hiddicop-moho.cjb.net

This is a good way, but not for any movement bigger than ripples.

3. Look at the image I posted before. It is a splotchy blue shape with some dark and some light lines. By adding a wavy-effect to the water you could make it move.

4. You could make a water surface and seperate it into several different layers next to each other. Then you could rotate all the different layers in 3D, creating waves. Though this would take a lot of time, and probably wouldn't look so good after all.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"i cannot see the texture of the splotchy effect"

Many advanced effects of Moho can not be exported to Flash .swf because the format doesn't support it or it isn't realistic to do so. For those effects you need to export to avi or quicktime. I'm pretty sure the splotchy effect is one of those effects. Flash is vector based and the others are raster images, vectors work best with straight lines. I think the Moho gradients also do not export to Flash and I'm sure the variable width lines don't. Part is limitation of Flash, part different technique of Moho and part because file size would become too big.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
mel

Post by mel »

i understand, too bad but ill find anather solution to make it work :)

Hiddicop, i try your tip and i post back the result ;)

thanks for all !
***mel***
mel

Post by mel »

im sorry ,
but
the bones must have parents isnt it? or how to separate them?

did you turn your bones as region binding in the properties?
because when i move my bones the sea doesnt change : the bone doesnt stretch the sea ..
?
and the splotchy effect is also static

:cry:
***mel***
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

im sorry ,
but
the bones must have parents isnt it? or how to separate them?

did you turn your bones as region binding in the properties?
because when i move my bones the sea doesnt change : the bone doesnt stretch the sea ..
?
and the splotchy effect is also static
The bones don't have to have parents. If you de-select bones before adding a new bone the bone won't have a parent. (De-select bones by clicking anywhere else than on a bone when having the "Select Bone"-tool activated).

I suppose that your problem is that you haven't followed the tutorial correctly. To make the effect work you will have to use an image and not a vector layer. Just follow the tutorial, but instead of making the gradient-fill green to dark-green, make it blue to dark-blue and change the splotchy-scale to 20-40 (mix around a while with this until you get it as you want it).

If it dosn't work, post an image (or a moho-file).
mel

Post by mel »

hii !!
im still trying to make mi sea realistic :)
the tutorial of Hiddicop works perfectly...unless i had a problem :

see, i want to make it move but i have a image layer that represent kind of an island..

ive tried to turn oppacity 70% for the upper layer .. but it is still not satisfying , any idea??

:wink:
***mel***
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

mel wrote:hii !!
but it is still not satisfying , any idea??
Make the whole sea in one piece and mask the island. Animate the mask to follow the waves and have a soft edge effect on the mask fill to get a smooth edge between sea and land.
mel

Post by mel »

im sorry i dare to ask you do it if you want , cause i dont really see what you mean with "Animate the mask to follow the waves and have a soft edge effect on the mask fill to get a smooth edge between sea and land." :shock:

http://melanie.ferber.free.fr/url_forums/mer.moho

ill try again anyway ,

i was also wondering how to make the see look like that mythic style

is it possible to make the two layers (the see and the mythic waves) meet in one layer ? to finally get a efffect of mystic waves more fantastic ...?

in case :http://melanie.ferber.free.fr/url_forums/vagues.moho

lots of thanks for those who might have fun with that exercice whereas im having trouble with... :/
***mel***
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

mel wrote:im sorry i dare to ask you do it if you want , cause i dont really see what you mean with "Animate the mask to follow the waves and have a soft edge effect on the mask fill to get a smooth edge between sea and land." :shock:
Sorry, I might have been a bit vague...
I did a quick example using your moho-file (your bitmaps wasn't included so I used some images from the net).
http://www.rylanderanimation.se/temp/sea.mov
and here's the moho-file;
http://www.rylanderanimation.se/temp/sea.zip
Hope this helps.
mel

Post by mel »

yeah !! it works great on your movie!

but why , when i try to exhange your island with mine, it becomes morphed by the bones.. whereas yours is not.. :?
i guess i have missed a detail ...

thanks anyway! sure this helps!!
***mel***