How do I get a hi-res movie? HELP!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pinar

How do I get a hi-res movie? HELP!

Post by pinar »

Here's the problem:

I have around 30-35 different anime studio files which, when put together, creates my animation. Now I'm using adobe premiere to edit and sync with the music and everything, but somehow I can't get a high resolution movie. I even tried to export the files as huge as 4000x3000 (took forever) but still, when I add them in premiere, the fullscreen of it looks fuzzy. I used cinepak codec when exporting, because when I do it full frames uncompressed, the video slows down, plays as if there are 80 frames instead of 160, turning the animation into a picture by picture slideshow sort of thing. I tried everything, tried to export as png, bmp and targa files, but no matter what the final output is always fuzzy.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to increase the resolution of the pictures in anime studio?
pa
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

First of all, you *must* export as single frames -- no way around it. However, to "speed up" things in Premiere you can render out your animations as uncompressed AVIs (and then bring these back into the timeline). Also, when you import the animations into Premiere make sure you select only the first frame and use "numbered stills" option.

So here's the workflow:

1) Export as single frames BMPs (or whatever but this is what I use) at the resolution you want. For HD widescreen, for example, you could use 1080 x 720 (remember, however, that you will not be able to put these animations on a DVD at this resolution unless you have a blu-ray burner)

2) Import into Premiere by selecting the first frame only and checkmark "numbered stills".

3) To work with the sequences at full speed you can render them out of the timeline as uncompressed AVIs (use "Export/Movie" and choose uncompressed AVI as your options). This will take large amounts of disc space (as will your final exported movie) -- 10GB per 30 minutes at even "normal" resolution is not uncommon.

4) Edit your stuff as you wish and then decide how you'll use the final output -- to keep it in HD you will need to export only as uncompressed AVI, though.
Last edited by mkelley on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You have to be more clear on what you mean by "fuzzy". It could be the settings in Premier. If you rendered at 4000 pixels... uh... there is no way the images would be "fuzzy" unless you are rendering image layers. It you have imported images to AS and THEY are low res the exported movie is going to be fuzzy.

The slow playback is due to the size of the images and the compression. The computer is choking on the size of each frame and can't display them in real time. I'm not familar with the Cinepak codec except that it's pretty old I think and probably not used much... not an expert I could be wrong.

I have a fairly old PC and it plays uncompressed NTSC resolution animation from AS in real time (using QT). Unless your computer is older than mine (2002... unlikely) then it is probably the size of your rendered movie slowing it down.

4000 x 3000 pixels is WAY TO FREAKING BIG. That is like... film quality. It's HUGE! Try something normal like 720x540 (NTSC) or 960x540 for 16:9 wide screen. Render using the Animation codec. I don't know what type of content you have (vector or image) so it's hard to say what the best codec to use is. What is your destination format, web? DVD? Broadcast?

-vern
pinar

Post by pinar »

I drew everything in AS, if that means it's vector than it is (sorry I'm not too familiar with the terms).

My first output size was 800x600, to see if it comes out well, if I missed something etc. By fuzzy I mean when watching the video, if the size is 800x600 everything is ok, when I make it fullscreen, the lines in the video start to pixellate. I'm going to send this to a contest, and they will display it on a big screen, so I want the quality to be good. I know 4000x3000 is really big, and I believe my computer agrees :) But somehow still I can't get the result I want.

I don't know what the animation codec is. I couldn't see it in the options in AS.

Is this clearer? Do you have any more suggestions?
pa
pinar

Post by pinar »

mkelley:

I did both. Exported as BMP than put them together in premiere and got the uncompressed avi export in AS and again, exported from premiere after editing - both of them got the same results: Good when small, bad when big. Now, I get two results from that.

1- I'm dumb.
2- I'm doing something wrong in premiere, and this is the wrong forum to post..

Still need help though...

See, when I import the thing to premiere, the video size is larger than the window, so I have to resize it to fit the window (the window size is 720x576 by the way). So when I export it, the video size is always the same, and the quality is reduced when I try to see it in a bigger size.

Does ANY of this make sense? Right now even I can't understand a word I'm saying...
pa
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

If the render was 800 x 600 and you show it on your computer at full screen which is LARGER than 800 x 600 of course it will pixelate. Any time you make something bigger than it's intended resolution it will enlarge the pixels (flash is vector based so display size is not relevant unless it is FLV which is raster video).

You have to check with the contest requirements. They should tell you what resolution and format you need to provide. The display device (even a huge projection display) would most likely be some sort of NTSC resolution. It will not be the same as "showing full screen" on your computer. The "Big" display is still going to use a "fixed" resolution for the pixels so it won't enlarge the them making it look "fuzzy".

I am making a big assumption. You need to check the contest requirements.

EDIT:

Computer displays are usually much higher resolution than the display of television or digital video. Showing video full screen forces the video to fit the resolution of the monitor using software or hardware to make the enlargement. Depending on how it's done the display can either just enlarge the pixels or "add" in guestimaged pixels... making it look soft and fuzzy and pixelated.

If you want to watch 800 x 600 video at full screen set the video display resolution in you system settings to 800 x 600. If you have the ability to plug your computer video out put to a TV that might be better.

-vern
Last edited by heyvern on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinar

Post by pinar »

Ok, just checking to see if I understood this.

The requirement is 720x576. Are you saying that if I take the render in premiere in NTSC format, it will look ok even if it's projected on a huge screen?
pa
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

pinar wrote:Ok, just checking to see if I understood this.

The requirement is 720x576. Are you saying that if I take the render in premiere in NTSC format, it will look ok even if it's projected on a huge screen?
Absolutely. A "big" screen doesn't have "thousands and thousands" of more pixels because it's big. It just has "bigger" pixels. A big display could still be set to a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels even if it is 20 feet wide.

EDIT: I am talking about "television" displays... not computer out put. Big gigantic LCD monitors for computers CAN display more pixels. When you do this a video at a set resolution would look small and tiny.

This is not like DVD playback. DVD players on a computer never display more than the resolution of the video no matter what resolution the display is set at.

-vern
Last edited by heyvern on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinar

Post by pinar »

Yay!
Thanx a lot! You have no idea how relieved I am!
Thank you thank you thank you!
pa