Content Paradise information

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Content Paradise information

Post by DK »

Hi.

As a few of you may know I have been selling items on Content Paradise for some time now and having fielded a few equiries on the subject recently has prompted me to start an area on the forum dedicated to helping Anime Studio Forum users with any Content Paradise questions or suggestions they may have on either on selling, creating products or other.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Great idea DK.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I get closer to having a product ready. By starting a thread, my questions may get answered before I think of them.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi systhsin75. No problems feel free to ask anything. I hope someone in admin can make this a sticky thread so it does'nt get buried. I think there is a major need for Anime Studio providers to maintain a certain standard for their commercial content. Right now it's a guessing game as to what you are going to get when you buy an AS pack. Hopefully here we can all help develop a better guide to what people need in their Anime Studio content as far as bone rigs, mouth sets, swtich layers etc.

My first question is:
What do people expect to get when they buy a character pack?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For one, I'd say your Wienertoonz is a pretty good template. It is ready for lip-sync and has plenty of character angles. I think you really included more actual animation than people should reasonably expect.

I think just about any character should come with a walk cycle as standard. So I guess that would be my preliminary list:

Lip-sync ready
At least two or three angles
A basic walk cycle.

I would assume these to be a bare minimum for any character I would offer.

I'm thinking the term 'rigged' should be better defined for CP products. Maybe define a difference between 'rigged' and 'fully flexible'?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. :wink:
chucky

Post by chucky »

do you think people prefer vector based characters? I know I would but maybe Joe public isn't concerned and wants easy to manage image based characters?
DK

Post by DK »

That's an interesting question chucky...I never even thought of that.
I know I would always prefer vector over raster but someone might like photorealistic characters of which there are none available on Content Paradise for Anime Studio. Could be an opportunity for someone on the forum to specialize in that category.

D.K
rogermate

vector vs. bitmap

Post by rogermate »

Why couldn't an animator take a rigged vector character, and just change the layer which defines the body with a bitmap image? Obviously, the size and general dimensions of the vector character should approximate the size and shape of the bitmapped image. Wouldn't the rigging still function the same? What would you lose with this approach?

I apologize if this question is dumb, I'm new to AS and animation. I understand the difference between Vector and Bitmap images, especially outside of AS.

----

To your original question of what a user would expect, I'm still trying to understand what a character set would enable the buyer to do. So, I think the best thing you could do would include a tutorial showing the use of the character from within AS. And have a link to this on YouTube.

DK wrote:That's an interesting question chucky...I never even thought of that.
I know I would always prefer vector over raster but someone might like photorealistic characters of which there are none available on Content Paradise for Anime Studio. Could be an opportunity for someone on the forum to specialize in that category.

D.K
heyvern

Re: vector vs. bitmap

Post by heyvern »

rogermate wrote:Why couldn't an animator take a rigged vector character, and just change the layer which defines the body with a bitmap image? Obviously, the size and general dimensions of the vector character should approximate the size and shape of the bitmapped image. Wouldn't the rigging still function the same? What would you lose with this approach?

I apologize if this question is dumb, I'm new to AS and animation. I understand the difference between Vector and Bitmap images, especially outside of AS.

It would depend on how the character was created and rigged with the bones. If it is just a "straight" conversion out of say, Illustrator and all the points are bound to bones then yes, substituting an image would work.

If however the character is carefully rigged with specific point binding and constraints an image can't be inserted and work as described because an image doesn't have the points to bind. Images don't warp the same as points with region binding. A vector can have a dense mesh in one area and a sparse mesh in another changing how the bones warp the shape. An image on the other hand has the same "density" through out. It's all effected the same way.

-vern
rogermate

Re: vector vs. bitmap

Post by rogermate »

heyvern wrote:
It would depend on how the character was created and rigged with the bones. If it is just a "straight" conversion out of say, Illustrator and all the points are bound to bones then yes, substituting an image would work.

If however the character is carefully rigged with specific point binding and constraints an image can't be inserted and work as described because an image doesn't have the points to bind. Images don't warp the same as points with region binding. A vector can have a dense mesh in one area and a sparse mesh in another changing how the bones warp the shape. An image on the other hand has the same "density" through out. It's all effected the same way.

-vern
OK, more elaborate vector characters (which is good) won't "morph" a bitmap slapped on top very well.
wena

Post by wena »

DK

AN ANIMETION CHRICTUR OF ME!!!

I would like to get a 2D animetion of me so in one of my projects and maby more I could use it time and agin. So if I have no person spiking my language (Welsh) I can do it myself. I have attempted time and again to do one on POSER but the results are poor.

And as I want to use it in both POSER 7 and in AS Pro it dose need it to be good.

By the way as for the Vector question I really like them even though I am a NEWBEE.

Thanks for your help
DK

Post by DK »

Hi wena.
Maybe....if you had a general character body that allowed you to swap heads via a switch layer you could easily put in a photo of your own head and use it on a cartoon body? Would that be the type of thing you would use?

Cheers
D.K
wena

Post by wena »

Hi DK

I have attaempted to do exactly that in Poser 7 and Daz 3D but failed misrably.

I am now at the stage that I am prepared to pay a reasnabl amount to have such a charactor done.

Wena
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

It depends on how accurate you want the representation to be.

FaceShop Pro can create a pretty accurate (read: creepy) looking 3D face for use in Poser via a photograph or two (you can work from a front shot, but best results will use a side photo as well). I was able to get a good Gov. Arnold using this (here's a link to the YouTube video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxWrPmeFSFo

but notice my Sly Stallone was not as good -- it depends on the photos and, to a large extent, on how "distinctive" your face is. To get a really good 3D face you will need to have very prominent features.

But that won't help for a 2D solution -- there your best bet is to go for a caricature. You can use a good book like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Off-Amazing- ... 242&sr=8-1

but if you have zero talent (it doesn't take much talent to do one) just go to some boardwalk or carnival and have someone do yours and use that as your head for your character.

I do not think you can use the same 3D head for 2D work -- it just ain't right.
CoffeeStained

Post by CoffeeStained »

I think the obvious questions are about how business with Content Paradise works.
  • Is there an approval process for submitted rigs?
  • Do you determine your own pricing and what is CP's cut?
  • How often does CP pay out?
Any pointers about dealing with CP other than 'creating the best rigs you can' and a good description with good product shots? Pointers about the business of it?
DK

Post by DK »

Hi CoffeeStained.

Curently there is no official approval process before submitting rigs. This is an area that I personally would like to see changed so that anyone purchasing an AS product from CP are assured that it meets a general standard. Right now you could be buying anything when you purchase and I'm no sure what the return policy is for unsatisfied customers.

It is up to you to determine your own pricing. Content Paradise take 30 percent which I find is quite reasonable for their services.

Payments are made monthly and I have been told there is a $100.00 minimum sales level which you much reach before they wll pay. That said, I have always recieved payments each month below that threshold.

TIPS:
I always take part in ANY free give-away of products and promotions. Give away something good but don't be afraid to load your file up with advertising for other products you may have available! This has worked well for me in the past as you have the facility to see who has downloaded your free products and also who has purchased.

Try to keep your products orginal. Personally I stay well away from character based products opting to create products that help animators in other areas like animated backgrounds and props.

(I have a phobia about forcing my character style down other peoples neck)

Hope this helps.
Anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
D.K