is AS Pro multi-threaded yet?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

is AS Pro multi-threaded yet?

Post by rogermate »

With all these core2 and QuadCore CPUs out there, just wondered if anyone knows whether this application is multi-threaded so that it takes advantage of multi CPU cores.
rogermate

anybody know?

Post by rogermate »

If anime Studio is multi-threaded?
NetGenSuperstar

Post by NetGenSuperstar »

I don't think it is. However, I've been experimenting with batch command-line rendering in a program I've been starting to work on. If I can create a multi-threaded program, and have each thread render a separate scene file, that would be as close as it would ever get. I still don't know if that would even work, though.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

NetGenSuperstar wrote:I don't think it is. However, I've been experimenting with batch command-line rendering in a program I've been starting to work on. If I can create a multi-threaded program, and have each thread render a separate scene file, that would be as close as it would ever get. I still don't know if that would even work, though.
Do you mean you're writing your own program like 'Anime Studio'? Or are you trying to write a program which would divide the rendering of an .anme into a number of calls to AS? The latter could be done on the same PC thus possibly using all cores / processors on one PC, but it could also be used to spread the rendering among a network of PCs.

Interesting Idea.
NetGenSuperstar

Post by NetGenSuperstar »

rogermate wrote:Do you mean you're writing your own program like 'Anime Studio'? Or are you trying to write a program which would divide the rendering of an .anme into a number of calls to AS?
The latter one. Competing with Anime Studio is useless. AS is already the best there is. :D
rogermate wrote:The latter could be done on the same PC thus possibly using all cores / processors on one PC, but it could also be used to spread the rendering among a network of PCs.
That was the eventual goal. The plan is to create a cross-platform application that can render one AS project per core, per CPU, per networked computer. I first have to see if it's possible, though.