Depth of Field Problems

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BunyanFilms

Depth of Field Problems

Post by BunyanFilms »

Hi. I am currently trying to lay out a scene using multiple layers with PNG graphics on them to create a background. I have 8 layers with 7 of them having PNGS and the 8th is a vector sky. This is how I have laid out the layers with Z values to create depth.

Layer 1 z=0
Layer 2 z=-0.10
Layer 3 z=-0.30
Layer 4 z=-0.50
Layer 5 z=-0.60
Layer 6 z=-0.80
Layer 7 z=-0.90
Layer 8 (vector) z=-5

The camera is z=1.7321

Here are the setting in the project settings to set up the depth of field to focus on the layer 2 grass and it would be nice to have a very small amount of soft focus on the foreground element.
http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~bunyanfil ... reen01.jpg

If I set the focus range to 1.73 or 1.83 to try and get either of the first two layers in focus, when rendered they appear out of focus.

Am I missing something or not getting it but I assumed that this would have been the optimum distance of focus for these two layers. With trial and error if I input a focus range of 2.5 or 3 I do get the 2nd layer to come in focus but also one of the background mountains?? I don't get it. Here is the rendered scene with the camera set to 3 focus range.
http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~bunyanfil ... test01.jpg
I also don't get why I can't seem to get the 1st layer into focus. I can see why people use something like Aftereffects to layout scenes.

Here is the anime file but as it is very small I don't think the image files are in it http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~bunyanfil ... cene1.anme

Any help would be appreciated.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The first thing I do when having multiple layers at different z settings is to pull back the camera to a z of 5 or more. That now gives you more room to change the focus. I would use a Focal distance of 5 so that any layer with a zero should be in focus. Now change the other setting until you have what you want.

Dale
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I would think it'd just be easier to use different layer blur settings on each layer. Depth of field is not an animated feature, nor is it dynamic with camera zoom. IMO it's easer than dealing with matching up z-depths and focus range/distance. :wink:
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Try these settings:
Focus Distance: 1.7321
Focus range : 0.2

Focus Distance is the physical distance from the camera to the object you want in focus.

Focus Range is how deep the field of focus is. So if the focus range is 1, any object that is within plus .5 or minus .5 z-depth from the focus distance will also be in focus.

Anime Studio is not really designed to be a compositor, it's best for creating assets to import into a dedicated compositing program like After Effects where you'll have a lot more options with the camera, and even be able to use lights. Obviously you can do basic compositing within Anime Studio as long as you're not asking it to do too much, but I HIGHLY recommend using a dedicated compositor.
Last edited by DarthFurby on Mon May 26, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

Thanks everyone for your answers.
I think I will switch to an application that will be better to control these effects. Now it will just be a matter of matching up the action with the camera moves in a separate application. I may make the scene in AS, then render out a guide sequence with the sort of camera moves I need then to render out just the animation without the background elements. Then I'll need to reassemble the background in the other application. Just thinking out loud here in case there is a better work flow someone else knows.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Isn't that "out of focus" effect the same as the blur effect, which is animatable?
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Yeap it's basically the same. If he wanted to rack focus he could manually animate the layer blur to create the same illusion(as long as the number of layers is kept to a minimum), but it is still much much better to use a compositor which would be a lot easier and give him many more options.
TeamSDA

Question to DarthFurby in regards to Force Distance and Rang

Post by TeamSDA »

Hi DarthFurby

Just wanted to ask a quick question. I saw that you were talking about Focus Distance and Focus Range. Are these settings specific to AnimeStudio Pro or can they be used on Debut as well. If so where can I find them.

Thank You for all of your help,

Victoria

DarthFurby wrote:Try these settings:
Focus Distance: 1.7321
Focus range : 0.2
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I think I remember reading that depth of field is a Pro only feature. If you don't see those options in the camera settings then it's probably not in Debut. However, if the "blur" effect is available you can still simulate depth effects by varying the level of blur on layers based on their distance from your "focal" point.
TeamSDA

Post by TeamSDA »

Thank You for the response DarthFurby.