Problems with origin

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jorgy

Problems with origin

Post by jorgy »

Let me try to explain the problem I'm having.

I'm making 3d models out of individual layers. I get them just the way I like them, and then load them into my "master" file, that has the backgrounds, etc. However, when I do this, the origin of the individual layers is not preserved, and as I rotate around, the layers do not rotate around the same origin.

So I have several questions.

First, is there a way I can set the "global" origin for all layers?

Second, should I be using the draw translate vs. the layer translate? I believe this is the case.

Finally, when when importing into my "final workspace", is there a way to import an entire moho object, not just individua layers?

Thanks!

jorgy
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Finally, when when importing into my "final workspace", is there a way to import an entire moho object, not just individua layers?
If you put all the individual layers into one grouplayer you can import the entire grouplayer.
First, is there a way I can set the "global" origin for all layers?
Nope. (not that I know of anyway. If I'm wrong and there is a way I'm sure somebody will correct me.)
Second, should I be using the draw translate vs. the layer translate? I believe this is the case.
Depends. The draw translate move the points without effecting the orginpoint. When movin the entire layer the orginpoint is moved with it. If you want to move the entire object, and still having it rotating around the same point, then you should use the layer-translating.

I'm not sure if my answer will help you at all. The orgin-dilemma is a very diffucult one, and it's a pain getting it right once you've done something wrong. Are you sure though that the orgins are not preserved when imported to the "master file"? I havn't had the same problem, but if that is the case it can probably be solved by importing a entire grouplayer instead of every layer individualy.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Thanks, I will try importing the layers together in a group layer!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Yeah, like Hiddicop said,build your objects inside a Group layer. Then in your main project, import that whole group. That will maintain the relationships (in 3D) of all the sublayers. Then you can move the objects around in Moho by translating and rotating their Group layers. That should give you the effect of a "global" origin (at least for that object) that you're looking for. Trying to move around a bunch of individual layers in 3D after the object is the way you want is too much like work.

--Brian