PNG Transparency Help!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

PNG Transparency Help!

Post by DK »

I think I read something about this in an early post but I cannot find it. Can someone tell me how to save a PNG file with a transparent background from AS 5.6(windows)? It won't save out as it used to for some reason?

Thanks
D.K
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Well, I guess you have to use: File / Export Animation / PNG,
that should export with Transparent Background.

File / Render / Save As... / PNG, doesn’t create the alpha-channels, unfortunately !

Cheers
Nolan
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

File / Render / Save As... / PNG, doesn’t create the alpha-channels, unfortunately !
AS 5.5 did save the transparency of a render PNG by default, but somehow that's been lost in 5.6.

viewtopic.php?t=11223

Please add your support to this bug report so someone will take notice and hopefully restore this feature.

I know it's only a few more clicks, but really? Losing features? :roll: :?
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks for the responses. I got a total shock!!! In the middle of a job for a client and I had to stop and try to work out what the hell was going on with the PNG's.

Thanks for the help Nolan and synthsin75
Cheers
D.K
GardenGuy

Post by GardenGuy »

Once you pick PNG for your file type you will see other choices under that. Make sure you then pick million+. It's the + that makes the background transparent (under the PNG format)
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks GardenGuy....a bit differet to the old Ctrl + r then save as png eh?
What a pity AS has gone backwards a step.

D.K
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I think it has to do with the serious bug in the Mac version of AS, where the single frame rendering looked horrible. The bug fix could have been to remove the alpha channel altogether in single frame rendering. Of course, I'm just talking out of the other side of my body here.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think this is just a... brain fart by Mike. Probably something that was missed in the save options. Remember that AS uses QT for rendering. That "Millions+" option would have to be set "automatically" when saving from a single frame render. It could be he "turned it off" or something.

I know from my experience talking to the programmers who work on Animation Master at Hash that every time you add features there is ALWAYS the possibility of breaking something else or causing new bugs.

Adding features or changing the application isn't like putting a new picture on your wall... it's more like adding an extension to your house or putting in a new bathroom... there might be leaks or bad wiring. ;)

p.s. Not just PNGs, no alpha is saved for Targa either.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

I just recieved a letter from Mike re another issue. In my reply I have asked him why this function has changed. I'll keep you updated on the response.

Cheers
D.K