How to export animation with transparency

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mel

How to export animation with transparency

Post by mel »

hello,
im quite a newb with Moho but im trying to animate characters through Moho to make them move into Director .
so for the moment im exporting into .mov but how do i create an Alpha Couch to make the character's background keep invisible in Director ?

...do you understand my english :D ?

i've eard about something called River past to make /gif from .mov but im sure there are many better solution isn't it ?

thanks for that forum anyway, im waiting for any help :)
***mel***
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I think you mean an "alpha channel". Moho always creates an alpha channel, but you have to pick an output format that supports alpha. If you're exporting .mov files (QuickTime), choose a compression codec that offers "Millions of Colors+". The "+" is QuickTime's notation for an alpha channel. For example, you could use the Animation codec - just be sure to select "Millions of Colors+", and Moho will include an alpha channel.
mel

Post by mel »

im sorry ive tried what you meant but even with the animation codec and Million colors+ , my anim is still "full" , i mean with no alpha channel :?

moreover Moho sometimes closes on its own , i dont know why .. fun !

i try to animate moho files into Director , in the image propertie i turn the file as "background transparent" but still that window around my sheep ...

does the problem comes from director? i usually import gif with alpha channel and it works !

? bouhouhouuuuuu
***mel***
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I don't know if Director supports QuickTime movies with alpha channels, but if you exported with "Millions of Colors+", then Moho really does produce an alpha channel.

Make sure that there are no objects in the background. For example, if you have a big colored rectangle in the background, then the alpha channel won't really matter, as it will be completely opaque anyway.

Anyone else have some tips on using QuickTime alpha channels in Director?
mel

Post by mel »

do you know why my Moho closes up as im working with, or opening Photoshop...?? its quite boring !

by the way i still dont know how to use alpha channel .. are there any boxes to turn on/off ? when you try to export ??

***mel***
NeepNop

Post by NeepNop »

removed
mel

Post by mel »

quoi removed?
***mel***
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

mel wrote:do you know why my Moho closes up as im working with, or opening Photoshop...?? its quite boring !
No, I don't know why this is happening. What operating system (and version) are you using?
mel wrote:by the way i still dont know how to use alpha channel .. are there any boxes to turn on/off ? when you try to export ??
You don't have to do anything special - Moho always creates an alpha channel. Again, what you need to do is pick "Millions of Colors+" when choosing your QuickTime compression codec. Moho will save an alpha channel in the movie - then it's just a question of what the other software will be able to do with it.
mel

Post by mel »

ok
im using Windows XP .. i suspect a confict with the Dual monitor mode . ive just bought a new tft and my Quicktime couldnt open until i shut down the second monitor ... since then MOho doesnt shut down anymore :)

i will ask experts from my school about director an the alpha channel from Moho , im sure its not that complicated :wink:

thanks for your help Lost marble man ! we will talk together soon im sure :D
***mel***
7feet

Post by 7feet »

One other option, this is a shot in the dark, but you might try checking the "Do not premultiply alpha channel" box when you export the animation. Maybe that'll make Director happier. A real quick search seemed to indicate that Director doesn't deal with premultiplied alpha's too well.

--Brian
mel

Post by mel »

ok thanks for all .
alpha channel with quictime for director doesnt work , ive tried everything (almost?) ,
so i will work with .SWF it works perfectly ! :D
i should have tested before :roll:
***mel***
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Director might also have an option for a transparent background color. Say the background color in your Moho movie is white - tell director that white is supposed to be transparent. I don't know if Director has such an option, but that would be a way to get around using an alpha channel.
mel

Post by mel »

yes, already done, its works for .gif and .swf but not for quiktime sequences...
***mel***
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Lost Marble, I've seen this Transparency discussion appear about half a dozen times in the past month. Perhaps it's a good candidate for the FAQ section.
________
M115 Engine
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mel

Post by mel »

hi, me again :)

i've solved my prolbem of transaprency of .mov in director in exporting rather into .swf , and until now, it worked perfectly well ..

now when i export in th e same way anims made with .PNG files , director can only read the background color not the content...

im going crazy ... :roll:
***mel***