Solving strange focus problems..

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mixelmagic

Solving strange focus problems..

Post by mixelmagic »

I've ran into a little problem using moho, if anyone knows where I'm going wrong, could they offer pointers? :)

I have a model where parts (the hands) are going out of focus, I'm not really sure why.. Depth of field is enabled and set to the defaults, but the hand is level on the Z axis to the rest of her body, so I don't understand why it's happening..

Here's what the workspace looks like:
http://mixelmagic.com/funnyfocus2.jpg (admittedly I can't think wh that would be useful!)

And here's what happens when I move the hands around to see if it'll stop.. Motion blur isnt enabled.. (both hands are out of focus now)
http://mixelmagic.com/funnyfocus3.jpg

Is there something obvious that could cause this? Sorry, I'm a bit new to using moho even slightly properly. :) I'm not technically making an animation, but using moho to produce props and characters for a comic.

Thanks.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The depth of field effect is based on the distance from the camera to the origin point of a layer (the crosshairs at the center of a layer).

Depending on your character's setup, the origin for the hand layers could be very different from the rest of the body, making them seem further from the camera than you might expect. Try setting the origin to the center of the hand. (If you have animation in place, changing the origin could do weird things, but it's the first thought I had.)

If that doesn't do it, can you either post a link to the Moho file or email it support@lostmarble.com?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Also, as a workaround, you could use layer blur instead of depth of field. By blurring each layer by a different amount, you have complete control over the effect. Since you said you're not producing an animation, it may not be important to you if the depth of field effect changes as the camera or characters/objects move around the scene.
mixelmagic

Post by mixelmagic »

Thankyou for the fast support!

The first suggestion fixed it, that's great.. The workaround you posted is perfect too, I feel a bit silly for missing that. I'll use that method in future.

It's unusually fun learning to use this program. :)