lame question......

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chubbytoilet

lame question......

Post by chubbytoilet »

for a short cartoon i am making, i am using some speech bubbles, and i am having touble figuring out after a short bit, how to make them dissapear. if i delete the bubble on the frame i want it to go away on, it deletes the bubble in the entire cartoon! how would i do this?
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

You can animate the opacity of a layer and if you use a step curve it will abruptly disapper at whever you place the key.
chubbytoilet

Post by chubbytoilet »

thanks
chubbytoilet

Post by chubbytoilet »

how do i do that though?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Easier than transparency, just click in the visibility channel of the time line for that layer. That layer will be "turned off". The time line for that channel will turn red (hidden) or it will be "clear" if visible. Each time you click in the time line on the visibility animation channel it will "toggle" the visibility. This is really great for easily hiding and showing layers in the animation.

Check this page and scroll down to "Animation Channels". Look for "Layer Visibility" under "Layer Effects Channels". If it isn't shown in the time line you need to set that to be on in the time line settings so you can click it:

http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/manual/i ... newnd.html

-vern
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

Visibility is easier IF every bubble is on it's own layer. If all the bubbles are on the same layer, then use alpha channel for each bubble.

To make a bubble appear, click on the frame where you want it to appear and set the alpha channel (in the styles panel, fill/background color) to 255. then go back one frame and set the alpha channel to 0.

To make the bubble disappear, set the alpha channel to 0, then step back one frame and set the alpha channel to 255.

If you don't do the stepping back a frame then the bubble will fade in and fade out instead of popping into or out of view.

--gary
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

isibility is easier IF every bubble is on it's own layer.
Layers are "cheap". I would put them each on their own layer with any of the techniques... if it were me doing it any way. To each their own.

------

Oh cool! An even BETTER idea...

Put all the bubblies in a SWITCH LAYER. Add bones to the switch for each bubble if you need them to move around to follow the character. Add a "blank" bubble layer that is completely empty.

Now just key the switch layer to turn the bubbles on and off. To turn them all off just select the "blank" bubble layer in the switch.

Fading in and out wouldn't work with this technique. Not sure if the fading in and out would be worth the extra work (all those extra keys) and render time but that's up to you.

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Layers are big. So you could probably position the bubbles, then shift the whole layer to the next position and place the next bunch of bubbles, and so on.
chubbytoilet

Post by chubbytoilet »

yea i am making a different layer for each bubble

thanks to all