How do I get characters eyes through the hair vector

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bold Studio

How do I get characters eyes through the hair vector

Post by Bold Studio »

In the show "Star vs the forces of evil" the character Star Butterfly has the top of her eye strokes visible through her hair vector. I would like to recreate that effect as effortlessly as possible. I'm assuming that it has something to do with masking but I can't figure it out....

https://i.redd.it/uw6jbkwm9euy.png
synthsin75

Re: How do I get characters eyes through the hair vector

Post by synthsin75 »

Bangs and eyes on same layer with both the bangs and eyes having separate stroke and fill shapes.
Then just order the shapes as follows:
bangs stroke
eyes stroke
bangs fill
eyes fill
Bold Studio

Post by Bold Studio »

synthsin75 wrote:Bangs and eyes on same layer with both the bangs and eyes having separate stroke and fill shapes.
Then just order the shapes as follows:
bangs stroke
eyes stroke
bangs fill
eyes fill
thanks for your suggestion but discovered a great method using suppurate layers. First you make the top hair layer, then Eye switch layer on top of that, and on top of that........ A LOWER FILL OPACITY REFERENCE LAYER OF THE TOP HAIR LAYER
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

interesting discussion... prompted me to think about the fill / stroke style option selection that's in project settings.

And this led me to another approach -- which could be to do two renders, one for fill and one for stroke ... but it's a bit painful to go to project settings and change the options manually in between the renders ... so it would be good if the renderer could have those options.

If so you could define two layer comps, both have the bangs and eyes layers (taking the point that these might be groups / switches etc) but one layer comp is for "stroke only" and the other is for "fill only" and their outputs go into the compositor..

((oh -- a quick search shows that this feature was requested some time ago... I'll bump that request! (29095) ))