Where to start? Intro to Moho

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tristan

Where to start? Intro to Moho

Post by Tristan »

Hello,

I'm an character animator that has worked with AE and plugins for character animation. Yesterday I got really excited about the capabilities of Moho and pulled the trigger on Moho 12 and the Training Videos. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of structure and age of the tutorial videos. I honestly have no idea where to begin on how to use this program and learning the interface.

If you've seen the Moho training videos where do i start? Do you recommend another video/series for someone to how to use Moho? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

-----Tristan
jahnocli

Re: Where to start? Intro to Moho

Post by jahnocli »

You could do worse than register with Udemy.com and take their beginner's course in Moho. It's free, so the price is right.
Udemy also do other specific Moho courses like McCoy Buck's "Complete Rigging Course: Moho & Anime Studio". At the moment this course is heavily discounted, so if you're interested, now is the time...

There's also animestudiotutor.com, which has many excellent (and free!) specific tutorials on different aspects of Moho (which used to be called Anime Studio until recently).

Good luck! Welcome to the forum. Hope this helps...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The Tutorials document found under Help is actually a pretty good way to start. It will take you through the basics in logical steps and get you up and running quickly. You won't have learned everything about Moho from the tutorials but you'll have a good foundation to start building on for your own projects. After that, I would get familiar with the User Manual (also found under Help.) No need to memorize the manual, just skim through it once to see what the program offers and so you know where to find specific info when you need it later. I've been using ASP/Moho for about 4 years now and I still refer to it from time to time.

For me, the best way to really learn Moho was to come up with my own projects and solve problems as I run into them. Start with something small, then move onto something more complex. My first project was Scareplane, but I don't know what I was thinking when I thought that would be 'easy'. I suggest creating something simpler for a first project. :)

This forum is also a great place to learn once you understand the basics. I've used Moho in many personal and TV productions but I still learn new tricks and techniques from this forum--many users here are very experienced and willing to share what they know. I would be careful about asking too many basic questions that are easy to find in the manual though--almost everybody started there, and I think most users here will expect you to do at least that much.

I know there are a few paid video courses out there but I don't have any experience with them. Maybe somebody here can recommend some.

Good luck!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. I look forward to diving into the world of Moho and getting to know you all. Cheers!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Also, this user ordered the videos (which are also available in YouTube) in a more logic way:
http://www.animationandvideo.com/2016/1 ... o-pro.html
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel