F5 preview

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sbtamu

F5 preview

Post by sbtamu »

I am using the 32 bit version and have QT and VLC installed and today windows 10 did an update and now the preview opens in Windows movie and TV player that will not show the video. I have videos set to use VLC by default and this still happens. Any clue on how to make F5 to open with QT or VLC?

Thanks

Stephen
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
sbtamu

Re: F5 preview

Post by sbtamu »

Never mind, I fixed it. Even though I had VLC set as default for some reason Windows was forcing my PC to use the new updated player they own. I had to select a different player as the default and then switch back to QT or VLC. I wish I never updated to Windows 10 grrrr.
Sorry for bad animation

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sorry to hear your problems...but good to hear I'm right to be leery of Win10. I'm still waiting to find one solid reason to upgrade.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

My tablet computer came with Windows 8, which I thought was kinda awful. Windows 10 is MUCH better than 8, on this computer anyway.

Between 7 and 10, I don't feel that strongly about it. Windows 7 is still solid and reliable and it's what the studios where I've worked still use. I think 10 is more streamlined in some areas and it does boot up faster even on my pokey old desktop at home.

The main reason I upgraded all of our computers in the home studio to 10 was because some recent versions of software I rely on (a render controller and a distributed motion capture recorder,) work better with or will only work with Windows 10. I think this situation will become increasingly true for more software/hardware over time. (For example, many recent programs and hardware drivers do not support XP, so it's just a matter of time for Win 7.)

2015's free Windows 10 offer made the upgrade choice easier for me. It would've have been difficult for me to upgrade all our computers to Windows 10 if we had to pay for every upgrade. If the offer never happened, I'm sure I'd still be using Windows 7 in the home studio and sticking with older versions of my software for a while longer.

Today, only my old HP tm2, a 'Wacom-based' convertible laptop remains on Windows 7. I tried upgrading it to 10 but the lack of new drivers broke the stylus and touch capabilities, among other internal features, so I switched it back to Windows 7.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I am more or less happy with Windows X but man, after the update, I had to go to settings and turn off all the 3rd party crap I had turned off before. For some reason MS is starving for peoples personal info.
Sorry for bad animation

SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

synthsin75 wrote:Sorry to hear your problems...but good to hear I'm right to be leery of Win10. I'm still waiting to find one solid reason to upgrade.
The computer loads windows in light speed and you can start almost right away, booting up takes no time at all and your ready.....ok that's it... :roll:
Of course if you have to re-boot your back to the old windows...slowwww.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SuperSGL wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Sorry to hear your problems...but good to hear I'm right to be leery of Win10. I'm still waiting to find one solid reason to upgrade.
The computer loads windows in light speed and you can start almost right away, booting up takes no time at all and your ready.....ok that's it... :roll:
Of course if you have to re-boot your back to the old windows...slowwww.
And that's the first thing I had to disable in Windows 8. I don't know about Win10, but Win8 has faster boot at the expense of basically hibernating instead of completely shutting down. I don't remember the problem that caused, but disabling fast boot fixed it. May be better implemented on Win10, but that small time savings hasn't sold me.

Now if XBox had some of the PS titles I really want to play, then XBox on PC would sell me, but there's no XBox-only titles that I HAVE to play.