ps layers changing place on rig

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jenk

ps layers changing place on rig

Post by Jenk »

Why if I return to a PS file to edit the layers of my cut out character when I save the updating in AS changes the layer so a different layer is now controlled by the bones of the layer I tried to update? Any suggestion gratefully received.
synthsin75

Re: ps layers changing place on rig

Post by synthsin75 »

What version of AS, and are you adding, moving, or renaming layers in PS?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, that was my first thought. I believe ASP reads the ID for a Photoshop layer but there are ways to break it if you're not careful.

Just to be safe, I prefer to use PNG exports from the PSD. At work we have a script at work to do this but I usually use this plugin: https://github.com/jwa107/Photoshop-Exp ... Files-Fast For me, PNG works well because any changes you make to the files is automatically picked up by ASP, and it's less likely to get mixed up and fail. Be careful when changing the dimensions though--that might offset the art.

ASP comes with its own Photoshop to ASP exporter, which actually set ups an ASP scene for you but I've run into problems with it when replacing artwork (typically scale issues) so I tend to avoid it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

One more thing: One advantage with the ASP plugin is that it places all your layers in their correct positions in the scene.

If you decide to use any of the PNG export methods for Photoshop and have auto-crop enabled, you will not have correct layer placement on import to ASP. To work around this, I just switch off auto-cropping (called Trim in the 'Export Fast' plugin), which brings the images in their correct position in ASP (as they were in Photoshop anyway), and then I crop the layers manually.

This might sound like extra work but it's really not a big deal. To crop manually, all you need to do is click and drag around the image with the Crop tool like you might with a Selection Marquee and you're done. If the art isn't tightly cropped, I wouldn't sweat it--in this case, 'close' really is good enough. The whole process might take a minute, even for a character with many imported layers.

Bonus tip: you might want to set a new pivot position for the layers as you crop them. This is not absolutely necessary but it's helpful if you expect to transform the layers at some point.
Jenk

Post by Jenk »

Thanks going to give the plugin a try ,using ASpro11 so thought I didn't need it but getting v inconsistent results.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

One 'gotcha' with the Export Fast script: If you need to re-export any layers, the script won't overwrite the images. Instead, it will increment it by adding a number to the name, in which case ASP will not automatically pick it up.

To work around this, just delete the png files you want to replace before running the Photoshop script. Of course, if you're editing the PNG files directly, you don't need to worry about this.
Jenk

Post by Jenk »

Thanks.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just a quick followup:

Even in After Effect, I'm finding that there are many ways to break the connections between a project and an imported layered PSD when you try to re-work and revise the artwork, and it takes a lot of effort and care to maintain those connections. Adding, removing or merging layers, styles and fx, or layer masks...any of these things can cause AE to fail to update the imported file.

TBH, I don't think it's worth it because situations can easily come up that may require breaking the connections, which can lead to completely re-importing and even re-animating the artwork. IMO, it's better to bring in individual pieces (i.e, PNG or flattened PSD images) that that can be reliably and predictably replaced as needed.

I just wanted to mention this because, it parallels my experience with importing layered PSD files to ASP. It's a convenient feature when you're sure you can stick to the rules and maintain the links but down the line, you may be restricting what can do with the art.