AI/EPS sequence import

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

prabhat

AI/EPS sequence import

Post by prabhat »

May I request friends out there to help with a small script for importing AI and EPS sequence files.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

As far as I know, that one is beyond the capabilities of the scripting interface as it stands. External vector imports are a special case, handled by the main program. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe I could do it. Sorry.

What was your particular purpose? To import some frame by frame sequences? If that's the case, and you were just going to use them straight (i.e. you didn't need to use point animation in particular, perhaps rendering them as PNGs and importing them as a sequence. That could be done. Unless, of course, if you want to export the animation using images to Flash format, and use any sort of image warping ( 3D translations, shear, bone warping). Then it falls apart again. Ah, well.

--Brian
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Actually, as of 5.0.6, the Illustrator import function is available for use by scripts. The problem is that we still don't have scripting documentation.

To import an EPS/Illustrator file, you would use the following Lua function:

moho:ImportEPS(pathname)

A new vector layer will be created with the imported artwork.
prabhat

AI/EPS Sequence Import

Post by prabhat »

What was your particular purpose?
I want to import some 3d models background/environment and camera rendered movements from programmes like 'sketchup'(for soft look)/ 3dsMAX with transprencies. Then in MOHO I want my 2D character's movement matching the Camera movements from 3D programmes.

Imagine a situation where a character is moving around the bed in a bedroom. I can move the camera in 3D, get the AI Sequence in Moho and composit the walk / running cycle of my character.

This is an alternate method I want to try out, as I could not get 3D OBJ models into MOHO with 'a clean look' inspite of exporting from variety of programmes like 3DS MAX/CARRARA/CINEMA 4D etc.

Moreover programmes like sketchup offers soft-look 3D environment just right for MOHO.

Regards

Prabhat
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

With that method, you're going to be importing a whole load of vector data. It might be pretty overwhelming. Your other option is to render out the 3D sequence as a QuickTime or AVI movie, and load that into Moho as an image layer. A more simple representation, and you can use all the bells and whistles of your 3D package (textures, lighting, etc.) before compositing in Moho.
prabhat

Post by prabhat »

The idea is if we import the objects of the background/foreground in vector format, then the character in MOHO can 'interact' with the objects around it while on the move. For example, the character can 'bump' onto the bed or pull the sheet or hang on to the curtain and pull it ( through bone and point animations), yet maintain the fidelity of all objects from any angle(because the model in in 3D).

Moreover, many programmes render 3D objects with Single Tone look/ cartoon look in AI/EPS.Cartoon rendering of 3D objects with mutiple light source is already available in AI/EPS format.

Also, I would like to point out that advantages having background/foreground objects like building/trees/cars etc. in vector format can offset the liability of extra nodes in the scene.

Truely speaking, I hate create / recreate background and foreground objects again and again. I see a huge possibility of using MOHO as a Director's tool who would focus on creating emotions, expressions and story building.

I understand getting AI/EPS into MOHO brings in very large numbers of nodes and makes it look it ugly. But I also understand that this is a common problem for all of us and talents at LM and outside must be working to solve the problem and solution must/would be round the corner. I have experimented with more than 15/20 3D programmes over last 5 weeks to get AI/EPS for MOHO input. Some of them like 'sketchup' and 3D Home create hidden geaometry based AI models which have relatively less vector nodes.

By the way when I import EPS file from 'sketchup' 3D programme into MOHO, it shows the action of imorting the file. But nothing shows on the screen. May I request you to look at it!! I take the EPS from sketchup and take into another programme, convert into AI and then import to MOHO. Why can't I import the EPS from SKETCHUP directly? Infact, I am having problem with EPS files from many programme. Please check.
(www.sketchup.com FREE download available)

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

prabhat wrote:The idea is if we import the objects of the background/foreground in vector format, then the character in MOHO can 'interact' with the objects around it while on the move. For example, the character can 'bump' onto the bed or pull the sheet or hang on to the curtain and pull it ( through bone and point animations), yet maintain the fidelity of all objects from any angle(because the model in in 3D).
Not true. If you import the objects as AI files, that's just a 2D view of a 3D object. If you try to view it from other angles, you'll see that it's really a flat 2D representation.

If you import each frame of the background as a separate vector layer, it's really going to be too complex to have the character interact with elements in the background. For example, pulling on a bed sheet. If your animation is at 30fps, and the character pulls the sheet for 2 seconds, that's 60 individual vector layers that you have to animate the bed sheet in.

I don't know how to convince you, but I think you're asking for something that you wouldn't really want. You'd be much better off rendering the 3D sequence as a movie and importing it as an image layer, or importing the 3D model as a 3D layer in Moho. 3D layers in Moho can be controlled by bones, and the bed sheet would be a single object, not a separate one for each frame. Check out this example of how 3D layers can be used:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=855

As far as importing EPS files, EPS is more than just a file format, it's a full language. When a program exports EPS, it has the option of defining custom variables, macros, even functions. Moho does not have a full EPS interpreter built in, and can only import the most basic EPS elements.
prabhat

Post by prabhat »

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess PNG works OK although I would prefer pure vector scene sometimes for subtle Point Animation.

I also overlayed a vector layer with some outline over the PNG file for better Bone control. It works fine for the time being.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY