[Script Request] Make motion blur ignore camera movement.

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Awxen

[Script Request] Make motion blur ignore camera movement.

Post by Awxen »

Hi, I'm having an issue with rendering motion blur a certain way.
I am using motion blur to ease transitions between switch layers that have images.

So far, motion blur works well between switch layers and layer translations during animation.
The problem is when say the layer that is to be moved is still and the camera pans, motion blur is applied to every frame of the still layer as the camera sweeps across, making the still image look blurry/jagged.
I wish to make the layer's motion blur ignore the camera's movement and only blur its actual movements (switch, translations, bones etc.).

I have experimented with all combinations of settings under motion blur and sub-frame motion blur but to no success.

Setting the moving layer to 'ignore camera', does the job, but the layer 'sticks' to the camera so it isn't very useful.

Would greatly appreciate a solution to this problem be it in script form or a workaround.

Cheers!
synthsin75

Re: [Script Request] Make motion blur ignore camera movement

Post by synthsin75 »

Scripting won't help, but you might try putting everything you need in a group layer and animating that instead of the camera.
Awxen

Post by Awxen »

Motion blur still picks up the 'master layer's' movement when rendering.

Making the master layer 'ignore camera' also doesn't seem to help. It seems anything that moves with respect to another layer, creates the 'trail' of images that causes motion blur' regardless of any setting.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Enable animated layer effects and turn motion blur off for the camera move.
Awxen

Post by Awxen »

Here are the settings I tried:

Master Group Layer: Animated Layer Effects: On, Motion Blur: Off (this is the group that is moved around as a placeholder for the camera, camera being static)
v Switch layer: Animated Layer Effects: On, Motion Blur: On (animated layer effects and motion blur are switched off for sub-layers)
v Background Image: Animated Layer Effects: On, Motion Blur Off (Animated layer effects don't seem to matter whether on or off.)

If you mean switching off motion blur during the frames where the camera moves and only enable it when the switch layer is in effect, I could do it if the camera stopped but it needs to continue moving while the switch layer takes effect. Because of this, there seems to be an aberration where the switch layer 'phases' back and forth while transitioning from one switch to another.'

I was wondering if there was a way to get into the camera settings directly if possible and make the necessary settings or change a .ini somewhere to get the desired result.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Awxen wrote:Here are the settings I tried:

Master Group Layer: Animated Layer Effects: On, Motion Blur: Off (this is the group that is moved around as a placeholder for the camera, camera being static)
v Switch layer: Animated Layer Effects: On, Motion Blur: On (animated layer effects and motion blur are switched off for sub-layers)
v Background Image: Animated Layer Effects: On, Motion Blur Off (Animated layer effects don't seem to matter whether on or off.)
You'd have to leave blur off, for all layers, while doing camera moves.
If you mean switching off motion blur during the frames where the camera moves and only enable it when the switch layer is in effect, I could do it if the camera stopped but it needs to continue moving while the switch layer takes effect. Because of this, there seems to be an aberration where the switch layer 'phases' back and forth while transitioning from one switch to another.'
Maybe you should post an example file, if you keep leaving things out of your description of what you need.
I was wondering if there was a way to get into the camera settings directly if possible and make the necessary settings or change a .ini somewhere to get the desired result.
Nope. Motion blur is a rendering effect, independent of the camera.
Awxen

Post by Awxen »

Aww man, shit farts

Looks like I'm stuck with rendering everything separately and compositing later.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Awxen wrote:
Aww man, shit farts

Looks like I'm stuck with rendering everything separately and compositing later.
If you really want to avoid compositing, you could try rendering everything without camera motion, import that (image sequence would be best) back into Moho, and then do the camera work.