MohoScripting.com - unofficial Moho scripting documentation

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Stan

MohoScripting.com - unofficial Moho scripting documentation

Post by Stan »

Hi all,
I'm proud to present the unofficial online scripting documentation for Moho (Anime Studio) Lua API:

http://mohoscripting.com/

The site is a fan project created by me a while ago, before ASP 9.5 was out. I keep it updated from version to version (currently it's 12.2).
Although most of the methods don't have a description yet, however, recently Mike Kelley, Synthsin75 and Hayasidist joined the team, and I hope that eventually we'll also get some help from the developers themselves, maybe... :)

Anyways, the site is already far more useful than any other available documentation. Enjoy!

UPD: ASLua.com is now MohoScripting.com
Last edited by Stan on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: ASLua.com - unofficial Anime Studio scripting documentat

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you very much, Stan, you are very generous.
I already made this topic Sticky.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Thank you Stan, this is most helpful!
ernpchan

Post by ernpchan »

Thank you for making this.
My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
http://www.ernestpchan.com
http://www.zazzle.com/gopuggo
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Bookmarked! Thanks to everybody involved with this new resource.

G.
Chimp

Post by Chimp »

Hi there,

Even though this is updated for ASP 11, do all of the functions still work with ASP 10? If not, is there a way to switch to previous versions that just obfuscate the more recent ASP versions' functions and calls?

I'd like to start developing some scripts for ASP 10 and later, assuming that the later versions of ASP 10 will pull from those earlier functions.

Thanks
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

IMO, if you're building a script mainly because you want it, but you'll make it freely and publicly available, I'd just build it for the version of AS you're using.

But if you're (say) planning to sell it, or if you're part of a group (say a study group) that has various version of AS but you want everyone to have the script then I can understand why you'd want to support many versions. So, if you're planning to build scripts for AS10 and onwards, you have a number of choice to make:

>> AS10 functions only (i.e. ignore the new stuff in 11 and later...) -- but there is a risk that some functions you'll need will have changed and cause the script to fail in AS11 onwards

or
>> one script file that checks which version of AS is running it, and invokes version-specific code

or
>> one script file per major version

My straight answer to your " do all of the functions still work with ASP 10?" question is: "No." Some are flagged as "added in AS11", but it's also possible that some functions changed. Each release of AS comes with an "Extra Files" directory that holds a Lua Interfaces.zip file in which are pkg_xxx.lua_pkg files - so you can see what's specific to the version you're working on.

Speaking personally, if I've built something for (say) AS10 and then need to update it for AS11, I freeze a version that works for AS10 - and then use that as the baseline and develop a new version from that for 11 - that means any new features in my AS11 script aren't available for AS10. I've also written scripts that are, in effect, superseded by core product functions and so I've not developed those.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I'm going to add a version display soon, so for any method you'll be able to see something like "Available from version 10.1". I think it will be useful for many of us. My only concern is that I started to keep track of the version when AS was 9.5, so I don't have any records before that. But still, it's better to have something than nothing.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Stan wrote:My only concern is that I started to keep track of the version when AS was 9.5, so I don't have any records before that. But still, it's better to have something than nothing.
I think that's fine, Stan. No scripts older than that are still being developed anyway.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Definitely agree that even without older records, version info is helpful. Thanks! :)
Chimp

Post by Chimp »

Thanks. I agree also. If you need help, I'm sure many of us will be willing to contribute. Since I am new to LUA, but not coding, it'll be easier to help write descriptions and examples for you, since I am learning it as I go anyway. That way, I can focus on one method/function at a time, then just maybe send you a PM to include, if you're willing.
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Is the site working for anyone else? For the last while any time I try going to ASLua.com I'm getting "The site can't be reached" because it's timed out.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

GaryC wrote:Is the site working for anyone else? For the last while any time I try going to ASLua.com I'm getting "The site can't be reached" because it's timed out.
works fine for me...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Working fine here as well.
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Strange, it works when I use my phone connection. Might need to ask our IT guy why it might not work in the office.