My best script ever! Animated text and titles

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

My best script ever! Animated text and titles

Post by heyvern »

This has to be my best script yet.
Introducing the Spinning Text menu script.

spinning-text-menu-script.zip
Copy script to the scripts/menu folder of the Anime Studio Pro application directory.

Many programs have the ability to create animated titles but Anime Studio just didn't have anything like that. I desperately needed this capability in Anime Studio Pro. I was working on a project and tried to do my titling animations in Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premier and failed miserably. It was hard to key frame the sequences in those applications and very difficult to get the EXACT results I wanted. creating type and text vectors in Anime Studio is great but what to do with them afterwards?

All I wanted to do was move around individual letters on every possible axis, translation, rotation, opacity. I wanted total flexibility in spinning, flying, falling, floating twirling letters and text.

This is the result and it far exceeded my expectations.

This script can do almost anything you can think of. I have included a bunch of "presets" that can be selected from a menu in the script window as well as all of the documentation in a menu pop-up. Best use is to put the original vector text layer in a group or bone folder first. This keeps the layers generated in a an easy to contain group layer and also motion blur can be applied.

Features:
Control layer blur and opacity of each letter or shape over time.
Control the length of the titling sequence.
Control the rotation, scale and layer offset of each letter or shape.
Animation direction and "layer order" can be reversed as needed.
Use Follow Path option for more control of the text movement.

Future enhancements
I would like to include color animation in the future. However at this time it was just too tricky and cumbersome to include it. I am animating just layer effects and not shape effects as it's a bit easier.

-vern
Last edited by heyvern on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patricia3d

Re: My best script ever! Animated text and titles

Post by patricia3d »

Thanks for the scripts. It works on all vector layers not only text.
Thanks. But I am not getting the output like you have shown in your video. Please describe the settings for that.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

patricia3d wrote: But I am not getting the output like you have shown in your video. Please describe the settings for that.
Can you be more specific? There's a bunch of titling settings used in that one video. You can only do one sequence at a time.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I used blur setting on a bunch of the presets that are probably not in there. I added the layer blur settings right before I uploaded the script and didn't update the presets. I also put in a motion blur on the parent group layer of all the letters.

Check the opacity settings in the presets. The way the blur and opacity works and it's described in the instructions, is that the first value is the amount of blur, the second value is the start frame, and the third value is the number of frames.

-vern
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Thanks for taking interest.
I am not able to do from Second 2 to Second 6 ( Blur and then disappearing text )
From Second 7 to Second 11 that spiral string comes from right
These are looking great.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Oops!

Sorry, I had linked the wrong version in the download. Delete the one you have installed right now called:

Code: Select all

hv_spinningtext.lua
Download it again from the first post. this new one is called:

Code: Select all

hm_spinningtext.lua
I am changing the prefix for all my scripts to HM for the company I work for now HubuMedia.

Very sorry for the confusion. The new version has the blur settings and a new preset.

The first version you want is the last preset Peel Across. this is the one that zooms up and out from left to right.
The other one that spirals in from the right is Spiral in Right however I changed the settings. Instead of 100 frames for each letter I changed it to 50.

I checked the Blur box and set the 3 values to:

I am not certain of the blur values exactly but that's close. You can fiddle with those values to get what you need. Also I added a lot of motion blur on the parent group layer for that one. Like, 35 frames and 20 blur radius that I keyed to fade out at the end.

-vern
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Good stuff Vern, very nice!
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

Freaky cool! Thank you Vern!
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Thanks for sharing this script!! :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Bloody brilliant. :twisted:
gr33ndaybd

Post by gr33ndaybd »

thanks 8)
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Has anyone gotten this script to work properly in Anime Studio Pro 9 (on a Mac running OSX 10.7.4, to be more specific)? It's very strange . . . I can get it to work beautifully on a vector layer, but not on a text layer. The "Spinning Text v1.0" option in the scripts menu is grayed out when I select a text layer, but not when I select a vector layer. (It does work great in ASP8.)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes sure, it works well if you use the text tool not text layer and un-check create one shape and create text layer.
It only worked for me if I used it as a menu script for the moment, probably something to do with the user scripts folder, maybe the patch will sort that out.
Anyway it does work and here's an icon for when it does work as a tool.

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Many thanks, chucky! Very cool script. I didn't know about unchecking create one shape and create text layer. (Nice icon also!)
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Dude!

Oh no you didn't ...