Lost·AS·Tools (LostLayerTool, LDT, LostWiggleTool...)

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

crsP

Post by crsP »

Does that mean the lost layer tool is updated or just this new thing?

Also does it have onion skin?
Rai López

Lost Doodle Tool for ASP 7.1 (v20110401_0101_b) released!

Post by Rai López »

Well, I've to be brief because the time here but... well, I simply have not been able to withstand until tomorrow (I think I really need to shake off this sorrow :P); so here is, with much delay and embarrassment :oops:, the last working, both Windows and Mac OS (thanks, thanks, THANKS! To the invaluable Ulrik's help! :)), version of the "Lost Doodle Tool".

You know, in my first post you have the links to the original post of the tool in the "Lost·AS·Tools" blog where (at the bottom) you'll find the Download link of the tool as well as the always recommend reading "Readme" file with install instructions, advices, known issues and more.

I wanted to talk about some of the new features and I'll try to write about it as soon as possible, although I think most of them are enough "self-explanatory", or I hope so...

Well, that 's all for now. Thank you so much for your patience and sorry for the delay, I hope you enjoy it and if so, have the time to report any bug (remember it's still beta! & incomplete) or suggestion you consider appropriate.

Greettings,
Ramón López.

PD: Oh, in response to the previous post... yeah, you have now exactly 1 onionskin :roll:
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Oh damn it, this looks so cool! Can't believe I hadn't seen this one before...!

And I'm stuck with my 6.2.... Seems like I'm really going to have to buy ASP7 now... :-)
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...ARG! Jaja, well, first of all: thank you! But please, try to test it somehow before you do that! Just in case it be certainly not what you expected, I mean, have I still said that it is limited? :lol:

No, seriously, this is something I really can't remember right now, did Smith Micro finally offer a free demo version of Anime Studio Pro 7? Cause, If so... my advice (or what I'd do at this point at least) would be that you download first that demo version and play a bit with it to avoid surprises! Or something so :roll:

And don't you get me wrong! I'm the kind of people that is happy with ASP 7, but it's only that it sounded to me like a little (I don't know how to say it) ...compromising? And I felt a little fear :oops:; although, on the other hand, I liked your enthusiasm :D

Greetings & thanks,
Ramón López.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Yes there is a demo version.

I think the doodle script is a big accomplishment. Congratulations. I hope Lost Marble sees this as a demonstration of the potential of integrating some more traditional drawing techniques, and doesn't see this as a solution for us who complain about lack of these type of tools!

It feels like you are held back by the scripting. the onion skin is ok [better to have it than nothing at all], but it was a bit weird and unexpected to see that the canvas gets dimmed and darkened with onion skinning. But looking at the layers created I can almost see why this is that way. Also one more onion skin layer would be cool, if possible - that is to have a previous and next frame overlay.

The drawing are bitmap [?] but they act like vectors, i.e what you draw is a preview and when you release it auto-corrects itself. No big deal, just an observation, and probably the limits on the scripting. Would you say this tool is more suited to creating animatics rather than animating? I don't know if that was your goal when you started.

By the way, I am using a mac version 7.1, and it seems to be working okay. Thanks and well done sir!

Also appreciate the additions to the layer tools - I was going to post a request that the 3d tools should be in the tool bar, but now they are with your tool! It's more logical and you can just click the settings and see the changes, unlike the default way which makes you guess a setting, close the window, re-open to change, etc.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Sooo love the lost layer tool Ramon, I use it all the time.
I am very excited about the lost doodle tool, can't wait to see the anti-aliased and pressure sensitive versions.
I know you have never pushed for FBF but this tool would be a great guide before cleaning up with vector.
Thanks and.... thanks. :D
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well I'm very happy knowing opinions and testings so, even at the risk of being repetitive... thanks to you! :D

Hmmm, I simply can't imagine how Lost Marble could see this limited (and hacked function based) tool like a real solution for traditional drawing so I wouldn't worry too much about that... About the onionskin, believe me if I say you that I tried any other possible solution that came to my mind to accomplish such a feature but, unfortunately, all of them become technically impossible at some point... so finally I had to resort to this "curious" solution and yes, I'm aware about the "annoyishm" it implies, but, as I said, ASP doesn't allow transparency of any kind over Image Layers in viewport and neither access to the Toon Settings in the same way of any other setting do, so... well, no very elegant solution for it at the moment but in this case at least I think it's not (totally) my fault :P ...Oh, yeah, and of course the idea was to have several onionskin layers! But, in this case, I assume that the limitation (for now) is somewhere inside my head :x

Yeah, as you provably still know, the drawing process consist basically in little dots being revealed and hidden using a patten (the image external resource) representing all that dots. The "good" point (besides the file size limitation...) is that drawing info is stored inside the Image Layer and, therefore, inside the project, so not too much complex resources planning is needed, plus, in case that the resource fails or be lost at any moment, you'd only have to relink the patter image (I was planning to add a little assistant for it) to automatically reveal all the draws with any loss of info. And yes, the faked dots for preview during tracing, and subsequent translation into the real points, are basically due to performance reasons and it literally allows the fluidity on tracing, I know, definitely it could be improved to avoid differences or jumps as much as possible and I'd like to do it at some point, but not sure when I could gather the necessary energy to face up such a task :|
crsP wrote:Would you say this tool is more suited to creating animatics rather than animating? I don't know if that was your goal when you started.
Three words :arrow: TO-TA-LLY ...I mean, even if I finally introduced the "Flip Group/Layer" feature in a try to explore some more possibilities in the animation camp, the tool was totally conceived for Animatic/Storyboarding purposes in order to let you give expression the structure and timing of the animation be means of simple and fast drawings in a carefree way, so well, any other use... well could be funny but it's beyond the scope (and surely/probably possibilities) of the tool.

It was hard to come up with the little problem but, as I still said, if the mac version of the tool is working propertly now, it's all thanks to Ulrik's continuous tests and patience! About I couldn't be more grateful :)

Happy to see you enjoy too chucky! Although I'm sorry to say you that I'm afraid an anti-aliased version will never be possible in the way it's conceived... About the pressure tool, well, it really will be very limited (I suppose 2 or 3 steps at the most) but, even so, I still think it could offer some interesting results and I'd love to find the time to start with it; let's see...

Well, I think that's all. Again, thanks for invest some of your time writing here!
Ramón López.
Inkslinger14

Tools Missing

Post by Inkslinger14 »

After I installed the Anime Studio Pro 7 on my imac, I found that the TOOLS box was missing..I saw the box, but there were no tools inside it to create and manipulate bones.
It even appeared as a tiny black box that I could not expand.

This is what solved the problem for me.

After contacting support they instructed me to uninstall the program, by dragging it from the Application Folder to the trash, then deleting it.

Then,I had to reboot my imac in Safe Boot and reinstall the program.

To do this:
Tell the imac to restart, and immediately hold down the Shift button till you see a grey apple re-install the program.
That's all you have to do! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey Ramon! I've not had a chance to play with the doodle tool yet, but will very soon - great work, just wanted to say that your overview video is BRILLIANT! it really made me lol. I have some projects coming up where this will come in very handy - thank you!!

--------

:shock: :shock: :shock: Just tried it... FANTASTIC!

I quite like the lo-fi of it too, i find having real pencil looking pencil lines often distract me into sketching something 'nice' rather than doing what I should be doing which is roughing! thanks again :)
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Ey Inkslinger14, just wondering if your post will have something to do with my tools? If so... sorry but I think I don't get it :(

Jeje, thanks funksmaname! :D And yeah, that was basically the point (or ONE of them) of the tool, so I'm glad you enjoy it in that way :) ...I'm a little "disconnected" of this one right now but, if so, don't fail to let me know whatever you could consider appropiate after some usage.

Greetings!
Ramón López.
x-vishon

Post by x-vishon »

Dose this work with Anime studio 8? I tryed it but noticed something strange.
The layer tools wont work on vector layers. I click and click the icon but nothing. Then If clicked on a Image or Group layer.... Boom... There they are at the top of the screen and I can switch to Vector layer again and they are there. But if I choose any other tool and try to switch back while on vector layer The Icon still wont click.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Hi x-vishon, and sorry for the delay...

Well, I have just installed in "ASP 8.0.1" the version of the Lost Layer Tool that you should have installed (20100708_1931_rc2) and, at first sight at least, it's working as expected for me and with no strange behaviours, so... could you be more specific or provide as much info as possible, please? And, only to be sure, have you followed the install instructions described in the Readme file? Not sure if this will make a difference, but you always could try to download it again and make a new tool install just to see...

I've not too much time right now, but if you are still obtaining problems after that, don't hesitate to let me know anything you consider appropriate just in case I can find a quick or easy solution! Thanks :)
crsP

Post by crsP »

Not a big deal, but in the Lost Layer Tool, the 3d option says 'Exclude' instead of 'Extrude' in the tool tips.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

crsP wrote:Not a big deal, but in the Lost Layer Tool, the 3d option says 'Exclude' instead of 'Extrude' in the tool tips.
...Ops! It'd really surprise me if that be the only one spelling issue xD. Of course, a big deal or not, it's always better to know it than not, so thanks for let me know!
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...UuuP! & hi,

Well, not too much more to say here, a new "Lost AS Tool": The Lost Wiggle Tool has been added to the list, and I think I feel... happy? getting (in some way) this load off my shoulders, but I'm sad about the incomplete features which I dedicated so much time... Anyway! It have to get out one of this days and what I'd like more right now is not have missed something obvious or have passed something important with all the last hours mess! If so... and you find any problem, please, inform me as soon as possible, thanks & (I hope) enjoy! :)

Greetings,
Ramón López.

PS: As usually, you'll find all the links to the "Lost Wiggle Tool" blog entry (with download links at the bottom) at fist post of this thread. The blog entry is not totally finished yet BTW, so don't be surprised if you see more weird things there than usually :P