Bone morph dials script

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

no worries :)

----------

WTF! Where before i couldnt reproduce your problem, for some odd and sudden reason I'm getting this error myself! I don't know what's changed - even loading the file i saved before causes Lua errors :|

very very odd.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Here is what I did. I'm sure I am doing something wrong; I really do not mess with scripts much but I really want MorphDials to work for me. look at where I've placed the files and point out what I did wrong please.

You might want to watch in HD so you can see the text, I kind of messed up on the scaling and it's distorted, I keep forgetting my capture device is 4 x3 and my editor is always at 16x9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6THMaPkTI

Thanks

Stephen
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

that all looks correct... like i said above i'm now getting exactly the same error, even on files loaded that worked perfectly yesterday!

The process you show is exactly what I did yesterday, and doing the same today is just resulting in the same errors you have...

this makes no sense :(
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Might I have downloaded an older version? I downloaded the one from the link on the 1st page of this thread.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

that's the only one there is currently.
I've tried reinstalling it to no avail... guess we'll wait to hear from Rudiger :)
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

sbtamu, it looks like you've set it up correctly. This may be an issue specific to AS 7. I'm using 6.0 and have no issues.

and Funk, you're a total natural at these video tutorials. Really can't say enough about how great they are.

Rudiger I sent you an e-mail.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks ;)
I'm using AS6... I just don't know what might have cocked it up - other than maybe the fact that i tried to embed the menu script on purpose to see if i can recreate sbtamu's problem, but it didnt... it was on a new file and i can't imagine it permanently changed something in AS!?

Just loading the tutorial file i created yesterday results in 11 instant LUA errors pretty much identical to sbtamu's!?

i'm at a loss, and quite depressed. :P
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

sbtamu wrote:Here is what I did. I'm sure I am doing something wrong; I really do not mess with scripts much but I really want MorphDials to work for me. look at where I've placed the files and point out what I did wrong please.

You might want to watch in HD so you can see the text, I kind of messed up on the scaling and it's distorted, I keep forgetting my capture device is 4 x3 and my editor is always at 16x9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6THMaPkTI

Thanks

Stephen
Hi Steven,

Great idea to post a video of what you tried. Makes it much easier to see what might be going wrong!

I noticed two things from the video. When you were moving the bones around in the MorphDials.anme file you were still on frame 0, so I wouldn't expect the head to move in that case. Try moving to frame 1 first. For the one where you started from scratch, try putting both layers into a Group layer. That should make the errors go away.

Also, Funksmaname, thanks so much for creating that awesome setup video! It's something I knew that was needed but never got around to doing. Also, sorry you are now having errors of your own. My guess is that you've got some sort of script fragment left over from when you were trying to replicate Steven's error. Try posting a capture of the errors in the Lua console window and I'll see if I can make sense of it.

Also, to those people who requested to be Beta testers of the latest version, I'll need some time to package everything up, so might not get to it until the weekend.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I should also mention I have NO other scripts installed aside from Rudiger's bone morphs. If you have other scripts installed maybe they're conflicting? Just thinking out loud here.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Ah, morning Rudiger.
here you go :)

This comes up when i first load the file from yesterday, i guess the repetition is somehow linked to the fact i have 5 bones. then doing pretty much ANYTHING (clicking on tools or canvas, clicking on timeline) causes more and more of the same error to keep coming up!

I'll tell you when it started, incase that helps [longshot], but I thought all was well and created a new file. I added a folder, with two vector layers, fiddled with masking, then created a bone layer inside the folder layer. I embedded the scripts, and created actions, but the morphdials bones didn't work. No errors, but no effect. After that (and it may well be complete coincidence) it started giving me the error on anything using the embedded scripts...

Also, this may or may not help, but starting a new file just as in my tutorial but fresh... no error comes up when I embed the bone script, but as soon as i embed the vector script, the LUA window comes up with 2 entries (same as above)

---

DF - I've not installed anythign new since yesterday when it was working fine, so I'd say conflict is unlikely
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

funksmaname wrote:Ah, morning Rudiger.
here you go :)

This comes up when i first load the file from yesterday, i guess the repetition is somehow linked to the fact i have 5 bones. then doing pretty much ANYTHING (clicking on tools or canvas, clicking on timeline) causes more and more of the same error to keep coming up!

I'll tell you when it started, incase that helps [longshot], but I thought all was well and created a new file. I added a folder, with two vector layers, fiddled with masking, then created a bone layer inside the folder layer. I embedded the scripts, and created actions, but the morphdials bones didn't work. No errors, but no effect. After that (and it may well be complete coincidence) it started giving me the error on anything using the embedded scripts...

Also, this may or may not help, but starting a new file just as in my tutorial but fresh... no error comes up when I embed the bone script, but as soon as i embed the vector script, the LUA window comes up with 2 entries (same as above)

---

DF - I've not installed anythign new since yesterday when it was working fine, so I'd say conflict is unlikely
Hmm, I saw from your video that you had it working with the two layers at the top level. Still, try putting them in their own Group layer to see if it makes the Parent errors go away.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

funk mind posting the file? I'll see if I can replicate the errors on my system.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

sure, here's the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gu9ikc08yd2vd3d

interestingly, if i put the two layers inside a folder, the errors stop - but the functionality is gone!

----

Btw, (despite it not working for me now, my mind is still racing) - i just had the idea to use a similar setup to Rudiger's demo, with a central bone for control of multiple functions, but instead of moving IT you move all of the individual pieces closer or further away FROM it! that way you can easily mix multiple bones towards or away from a nucleus effector... you could create a 'shelf' of bones for different preset actions, and then just move any combination of them towards the effector bone...hmmm, i wonder if you could constrain them along a stright line (kinda like 'mixers') in a 'light ray' formation away from the center? dunno how practical this application is, but mind racing :P
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Seems to work fine so far(although I did manage to crash AS, the script still works.)

System Specs(aka weak sauce computer):

Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Pentium D 3.0 ghz dual core processor
1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Last edited by DarthFurby on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i've only experienced 2 or 3 crashes using this, and they all happened upon pressing the 'enter' key after defining a group effector bone (1;2;3;<enter>*CRASH*)

strange if it works for you it must be something i triggered locally trying to recreate sbtamu's problem - we must both have dome SOMETHING that screwed it up locally?? does the script write any external settings or antyhign? what about the menu script? as i embedded the menu script which caused AN error (different error), maybe its the menu script settings file that is corrupt?? where are those settings stored?

-----

ARGH! i just opened the menu and the 'enable layer scripts for realtime morph blending' was unticked (i didnt do this manually)
Ticking it brings up a DIFFERENT error:
\menu\Morphs\rt_bake_morph_dials.lua:168: malformed pattern (missing ']')

*thud*