Installing Fazek's Xsheet Qs

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Blue

Installing Fazek's Xsheet Qs

Post by Blue »

I read the README that came with the tool, but it didn't make sense to me. I put fa_switch_xsh.lua in the Tools folder and it seems to be working properly, but what about in the README where it says to put the same file also in the Utility folder...and then what about the mysterious Utility text file, where does it go?

http://www.firkafilm.com/moho/index.html
joelstoryboards.com - (WinXP SP3, ASP 6.1)
rogermate

Re: Installing Fazek's Xsheet Qs

Post by rogermate »

Blue wrote:I read the README that came with the tool, but it didn't make sense to me. I put fa_switch_xsh.lua in the Tools folder and it seems to be working properly, but what about in the README where it says to put the same file also in the Utility folder...and then what about the mysterious Utility text file, where does it go?

http://www.firkafilm.com/moho/index.html
Did you ever get this to work? I think the "utility." file is supposed to get renamed to fa_vec_format.lua. I got the dialog box to run, but am not sure how to run the program, or exactly how it works. Tried it with version 6.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Seems to work fine for me in ASP6. Haven't used all the features yet. Installed it like any other scripted tool. I don't think I renamed anything but I had to add it to the menu text file in AS.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Blue wrote:Seems to work fine for me in ASP6. Haven't used all the features yet. Installed it like any other scripted tool. I don't think I renamed anything but I had to add it to the menu text file in AS.
I installed it as a tool. It was in a tool directory, plus there was a tool icon. At any rate, I am getting the dialog box.

How do you actually use it? To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what an Xsheet is, am assuming it gives a thumnail view of the switch layers that are available.

Anyway, when I try to Save - it gives an error message that the file does not exist. Also, I don't understand why there are 3 columns for the selections.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Here's what I've discovered by hitting buttons:

The three columns are for 3 Switch Groups. You can control up to 3 Switch Groups with the tool.

Switch Groups will automatically load into the three columns. The rows in the columns are the different layers in the Switch Layers. You can manually select the Switch Group to show up in the column by selecting it from the Switch Layer menu in the exposure sheet then hit "List" or "Off" above the column.

You can control the layer in the Switch group by selecting the layer in the Items to Insert menu in the exposure sheet then hit "Enter" and/or use the "+" or "-".

It is true the "Save List" feature doesn't seem to work. I think there might be something additional that needs to be added in the script menu AS text or some other magic. However, changes seem to save with the .anme file, but check accuracy on it before implementing in a long animation.

I'm fumbling around with it too. I have not found any documentation or explanation anywhere.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

I thought the Xsheet was an "exposure sheet" which would let you pick an switch entry by clicking on a thumbnail. Don't know why, just thought that.

So, is it instead a method to quickly change three different switch layers by clicking on the entry's name? I could see how having a different one for whatever character you were animating would be good. Maybe that is what the Save function would have enabled.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I DO believe Fazek's "Xsheet" stands for "exposure sheet". In traditional animation you could think of an exposure sheet as a timeline depicting timing of individual frames in a vertical orientation.

In AS, Switch Groups are the frame by frame method. So aligning the contents of the Switch Group vertically, as does Fazek's Xsheet, does resemble traditional exposure sheets.

The fact that you can control three Switch Groups is just and added bonus.

I highly recommend doing a Google on Exposure Sheets, Xsheet, etc. and first understand traditional methodology. If you ever switch to Toon Boom products it will be necessary to understand this.

Anyway, play around with it, click on stuff, you won't hurt anything. I'm not convinced it's the fastest or best tool, but it's nice tool to tinker with.

I submitted an idea to SM for improving Switch Layers, maybe someday AS will have better FBF. Flash did it right, go the to frame and draw--no muss no fuss. Also, AS desperately needs Flash's Brush Tool.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Blue wrote: Also, AS desperately needs Flash's Brush Tool.
Hi Blue.

First i find your post very interesting since i dont know too much about exposure sheets and i would like to know more.
I agree AS needs to improve about FBF it should be able to do it in only one layer.

Tell me, why AS desperately needs Flash's Brush Tool?
I would like AS has Flash's pencil tool
Blue

Post by Blue »

I discuss having a Brush Tool here. Try Flash and you'll quickly discover the greatness of the tool:
viewtopic.php?p=78197&highlight=#78197
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Blue wrote:I discuss having a Brush Tool here. Try Flash and you'll quickly discover the greatness of the tool:
viewtopic.php?p=78197&highlight=#78197
I have tried that tool in flash but i still dont see its greatness :roll: , what you use it for?
Blue

Post by Blue »

I use it for Storyboarding, Rough Animation, Coloring or Fill details...I hardly ever use the Pencil tool in Flash.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Blue wrote:I use it for Storyboarding, Rough Animation, Coloring or Fill details...I hardly ever use the Pencil tool in Flash.
Can i see some of your works using that tool?
Blue

Post by Blue »

I don't have anything that I can share right now, however, here is a great piece done mostly with the Flash Brush Tool by artist Milton Pool:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ools&hl=en
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Blue wrote:I don't have anything that I can share right now, however, here is a great piece done mostly with the Flash Brush Tool by artist Milton Pool:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ools&hl=en
Amazing work.

Thanks for the link