*NEW* Animated hide edge tool

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

*NEW* Animated hide edge tool

Post by synthsin75 »

Animated hide edge tool

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... j8RVx907A2

Pretty self-explanatory. This will handle shapes created after you've done some hide edge animation, but deleting shapes after you do some animation may have unintended results.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
chucky

Re: *NEW* Animated hide edge tool

Post by chucky »

Wow Wes! You did it!
Dutifully downloaded, of course.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Wow Wes, not tried yet but this is awesome - solves a huge problem!
Thanks mate.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Nice! Thanks for sharing Wes :D
Ahroo

Post by Ahroo »

Thank you, Wes - this will be a great help and time saver!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Great job, Wes! I was playing around with your Animated Hide Edge tool this morning and trying it with a character I'm working on at home. So far it's working out very nicely.

For users just getting around to trying this:

I knew that the generated 'hide edge' switch layer needed to be kept in the same level with the artwork layer but I wasn't sure what would happen if a reference of the artwork layer was moved to another location. Would it use the switch layer keys through the original layer or did it need to see another switch layer at its own level? It turns out the artwork reference needs its own switch layer at the same level but a reference of the original switch layer works fine. That makes sense I guess.

Anyway, this is an incredibly useful feature. I hope the SM developers can implement a fully integrated version of this feature (i.e., one that doesn't require the switch to hold keyframes) in a future Moho.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'm glad you guys are finding this useful.
tinnycan

Post by tinnycan »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 pm I'm glad you guys are finding this useful.
It's a great tool but I've run into two issues.

I have a head turning animation which uses the animated hide edge. I create a bone to flip the animation so I can mirror the other side, but when playing back the hidden edges don't correspond on the mirrored side.

Also when I have multiple actions with hidden animated edges, I can't hide or un-hide edges any more across the multiple actions. Any help is appreciated!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

tinnycan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 pm It's a great tool but I've run into two issues.

I have a head turning animation which uses the animated hide edge. I create a bone to flip the animation so I can mirror the other side, but when playing back the hidden edges don't correspond on the mirrored side.

Also when I have multiple actions with hidden animated edges, I can't hide or un-hide edges any more across the multiple actions. Any help is appreciated!
If I had to guess, I'd say that both issues are caused by conflicting actions. Just like animated layer or shape order, only one action can control animated hide edge at a time, and action control eliminates manual control.
tinnycan

Post by tinnycan »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:12 pm
tinnycan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 pm It's a great tool but I've run into two issues.

If I had to guess, I'd say that both issues are caused by conflicting actions. Just like animated layer or shape order, only one action can control animated hide edge at a time, and action control eliminates manual control.
Ah I see. So best to use it in the current timeline than rather in an action I suppose.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

tinnycan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 pm Ah I see. So best to use it in the current timeline than rather in an action I suppose.
You can use it in an action, but you just have to be aware of possible conflicts. It helps to separate stuff so you can have, say, only one smart bone controlling hide edge in each vector layer. Then you can have other smart bones control that smart bone.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Hi Synthsin75,

Just wanting to make sure that I'm installing and using the Hide Edge correctly. I have Moho Pro 13.5, but not sure that I'm placing the files in the correct 'tools' seems to be self explanatory on where to place that, I'm not sure where to place the 'layerscript' at. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, I know that the tool sounds pretty self-explanatory by its name, I'm gathering that as you animate that you can turn on and off (hide) an edge as needed, is that correct?

Thanks!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Just drop the layerscript folder into your scripts folder, right next to the tools folder.

I haven't revisited this tool in a long time, so let me know if it gives you any trouble with 13.5.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Thanks! I'll test it out. This is something that I could have used many times, but somehow overlooked the post on this.
ninonskio

Post by ninonskio »

Is there an updated link somewhere or am I missing the actual download link? Im new to this forum so sorry if it sounds ridiculous, but I get a 404 error when clicking the link.