Unusual CPU usage in moho 5.0.7 OsX

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

mixelmagic

Unusual CPU usage in moho 5.0.7 OsX

Post by mixelmagic »

It did it in both 5.0.6 and 7..

I have an up to date Panther install on a dual 1.8Ghz G5.. (1GB RAM) moho begins idle at about 2% cpu use, but ultimately jumps to around 90% and above regardless of whether it's in the background and not doing anything..

Is it supposed to do that? Seemed a little bit strange. Other than that it's working fine. :)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

No, it's not supposed to do that. However, I've never experienced this situation. When this happens, what have you been doing with Moho prior to the 90% CPU use? Animation playback, rendering, batch rendering,...?

Not to imply you're doing anything wrong, of course - I'm just trying to isolate what set of program features may be involved in this.
mixelmagic

Post by mixelmagic »

It's strange as it was doing it last night and I've not been able to replicate it today.. I'll get back to you if I work out what it is. I was making quite a simple little animation with bones, and lip-syncing - occasionally exporting it as swf to test it.. Perhaps one of the apps I had loaded in the backgroung was interfering with moho somehow, though I don't know how that would work. :)

Hmm, another problem I've found.. About 50% of the time when exporting as an SWF it crashes and quits, but then if you reload it then it'll export it fine.

I love the easier bone system, i hadnt had a chance to try ver 5+ properly until the last couple of days, and this is really great!

Edit: It's doing it again.. It just starts doing it after I've been drawing in the preview window for a while.. I use a tablet, but haven't been working with pressure, just deforming primitives. It's hovering around the 90+% mark now.. And lagging a little as a result.

It's not the object's complexity that's making it happen, if I quit and just load it, the CPU level is 0-2%.. but it's creeping up irregularly. I'm not even doing anything in it.. it's 12% now. I'll leave the mac running overnight and see if it goes up to 100% just lying there.

Sorry I haven't been able to work out exactly what starts it off yet.
woodynt

Post by woodynt »

I have noticed this problem as well. I'm using OS 10.3.7 (G5 2.5 dual, ATI Radion 9800 XT)

The CPU usage seems to go mental after doing things that make it work eg Playing back complex animations or exporting an animaiton. Simply quitting MOHO returns CPU usage back to normal. An accumulation of time "may" be a factor as well but I haven't noticed a gradual ramping of CPU usage with MOHO idle in the background, only when I am making it work.

After working hard for a while it seems to find it hard to stop :?
mixelmagic

Post by mixelmagic »

Yup, after leaving it on for prolongued periods it didnt increase much (at all?) in the end.. I think that was caused by me editing things before I left it to sit there.

Normally I'm not doing anything that should be alll that cpu intensive, just editing a model. :/ The model is getting quite complex, but having to quit every hour or so to get it to run full speed is a bit odd..

Maybe it's something to do with dual CPUs.. I could turn one off with chud and see if it still does it.

It's reassuring it's not just my machine at least, I think. :)
Yooperville

Still An Issue Post-5.0.9 Mac Patch ...

Post by Yooperville »

I'm still seeing this problem after the patch. :(

Didn't time either session, but in first Moho eventually slowed to a crawl and was idling at 70-80% of CPU when I checked. Watched Moho second session and was idling at 60% after about 30 minutes. In both cases, restarting Moho returned things to normal.

Both sessions focused only on drawing. Draw, render, draw, render. Rendered using COMMAND+R. A lot of renders. Patch a big, big improvement, has made Moho a pleasure to use again, but still maybe a ghost in the machine ....

If data from Top, or other sources, is helpful, would be happy to forward. On Quicksilver 733 MHz/10.2.8/1+ GB RAM.

Best -- Greg.
mixelmagic

Post by mixelmagic »

I'm still getting the problem, and the patch doesn't seem to have made any difference here.

I haven't been doing any rendering at all in this session for example, just editing.. Idling at 80-100% at the moment.

It's at least reassuring to see it's not just dual cpu or g5 macs though.. If it does it on all/most macs then im guessing LM might be able to replicate it. :)
Yooperville

Disclaimer ...

Post by Yooperville »

Just in regard to my earlier post:

I should add that LM never claimed the patch would resolve this particular issue. As a user, I guess you always look for the magic bullet
:) .

Looking forward to the next patch -- Greg.
jefjan

CPU usage

Post by jefjan »

Not a problem due to MOHO.
Not a problem due to macosX
In fact I guess a problem with indexing, (great feature) ...... or other cron job...