Importing 3D objects

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

JCook

Importing 3D objects

Post by JCook »

I'm trying importing 3D objects for the first time. I'm using 5.0.7 on my Mac, OX 10.3.7. When I import the tutorial object (the head with the long nose) it works just fine, but when I try to import a simple object from the 3D program I use (Cinema 4D) which I've exported as an OBJ file it doesn't work. What happens is a new layer is created, which turns completely white. You can see a few black lines, but they don't seem to correspond to the shape of the object, and they go way off the working outline of the file. I can't zoom out to see the object. What could be the problem here?

thanks,
Jack
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The object is probably just really huge. With the newly-imported 3D layer active, use the Scripts->3D->Auto-Scale menu command.

Depending when you downloaded Moho, you may not have the Auto-Scale script installed. If you don't see it, you can download it here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/extras/scripts.shtml
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks, that was it. It appears now in the window. The only problem is that it is all black, as if in silhouette. I can move around it with the Orbit Workspace tool, but can only see a silhouette. In Cinema 4D I had given it a simple red material, but that doesn't seem to import. How can I get it to be not in a silhouette view?

Jack
JCook

Post by JCook »

OK, I think I've just answered my question. I went to the Layer page and the 3D tab and changed the polygon orientation. Now it's white with black edges. Now, how can I get it to take the red material from Cinema 4D, or is it possible to color it in Moho?

thanks,
Jack
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The object should take its material from the OBJ file exported by Cinema 4D. However, not all 3D programs export things like materials to OBJ files. I don't know about Cinema 4D specifically, but it may just not include color when exporting to OBJ. Back in the 3D tab, you can change the default color for any polygons that go not have a material color applied to them - by default the polygon fill color is white.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thank you.
vanleth

Post by vanleth »

using moho 5.07 also, and got a obj imported from wings obj export. All looks nice. But when i try to rotate the 3D object, it looks 2D and rotates alot slower than the tut 6.8???

The tut 6.8 works nicely and fast. But not if I setup my own moho file with that tutorial's obj files.

Any also having problems with only seeing 3D objects as 2D?
vanleth

Post by vanleth »

Ok figured it out myself. 3D camera in project settings needs to be enabled. Somehow i had disable that as default.