Blender 3d export/moho import problem (texture maping)

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

larspanky

Blender 3d export/moho import problem (texture maping)

Post by larspanky »

I see a lot of people have a problem getting textures to map in moho, I have been trying for hours with no luck. I am exporting an obj file from blender with textures and I get a white model in moho. Anyone know or have done this with blender?

Thanks
larspanky

Post by larspanky »

I noticed that Blender does "map" the UV correctly but it does not "link" the texture to the object, you need to re link the texture with annother progrma, I used Gile to do this and it works fine.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Anyone know of a program like Gile for the Mac?
GusM

Post by GusM »

Nope, but you can try it with Wings3D, as far as I know it works fine...

Regards,
Gustavo Muñoz
Roy

Post by Roy »

If you are trying to use procedural testures from blender, that will not work. If you just use an image map, that should be fine. Simple colours also export ok.

Hope this helps.
Errr. Um.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I'm still starting with moho and I would like to import 3D models. However, while I have access to a windows box, primariliy I use linux. I have followed the discussions here about using wings3d to create a model and then gile to "bake" the textures on. But, while there is a linux wings3d, there is not for gile. There is, of course, a linux version of blender. Is it possible to import a model from blender with a texture? Or is gile the only way to do this?
melkman

Post by melkman »

I Use Blender too and had the same Problem,
i asked on elysum for an Answer, i got that.
And it works !!!!

This might be totally stupid advice (as I don't know the specifications for the OBJ file format) but it looks like Blender doesn't write the UV map data into the corresponding .mtl file that is saved with your model.

When you save your file: 'myfile.obj' you should also have a 'myfile.mtl' file in the same directory. This is what saves the material info for the model.

Inside that file, you should see an object definition something like this (when opened in your text editor of choice):
Code:
newmtl cube1_auv
Ns 98.0392156863
Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ka 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ks 1.0 1.0 1.0
d 1.0
illum 2

At the end of that block add the reference to your UV map:
Code:
map_Kd myUVmap.tga

Where 'myUVmap.tga' is the filename to your UV mapped texture and see if that works.

You may want to make sure that the texture is in the same folder/directory as the obj and mtl files. Since I don't know the OBJ/MTL file format, I'm not sure if/how it escapes directory slashes.
sciboy

Post by sciboy »

I recall being able to bake lighting into textures with YaFray, some googling and elysiun will probably allow you to find out more.
GusM

Post by GusM »

You can bake radiosity and procedurals to UV inside Blender with some Python plugins. Search for such words at Elysiun.