Fairings...not right yet

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

jeff

Fairings...not right yet

Post by jeff »

Glad as I was to see that Lost Marble has finally got round to putting in separate ease-in and out options, I was sorry to see that in practice, they are quite wrong. If you translate a shape across the screen using the two different options, you'll see they still aren't right. In an effort to explain what is needed, I have written a few notes with pictures:

http://www.animationpost.co.uk/notes/fairings.htm

Sorry to sound pompous, but I have been an animator for more years than most of the readers to these forums have been alive. I often talk crap, but I do know a bit about animation. Lost Marble is a great bit of software, but until it gets this bit of the program right, it isn't finished. Come on LM, you're almost there. For the time being, a real ease-in and separate ease-out as shown in my curves will be a big improvement.

Jeff
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I like Moho quite a bit, but I have to agree with jeff on this one. It isn't really ready to be used in animation if the curve controls on the graph aren't updated/corrected/created. The curves are the central most important fundamental concept of animation. Without this most basic of fundamentals, you might as well just use individual keyframes on each frame. Sorry to sound so harsh about this, but this really is a big one on the scale of usable to just a hobby toy.
This was my earlier post. I feel like a jerk for posting it, but I'm leaving this on just to give context to the following thread. Please read all of the thread before you respond to my incorrect, irrational and down right mean post.

I still believe Moho really needs better curve controls, but I don't think that it keeps it from being a decent animation program. My apologies.
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producing solidly ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight/
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I understdna what you guys are saying about fairings. The new ease-in and ease-out modes are not meant to fulfill that function. During some discussion about fairings, I think someone asked about "could we at least get separate ease-in and ease-out interpolation modes", and that's what these are meant to be.

Full control over the interpolation curve is going to take a little more time. I understand that it's important to you, and I hear what you're asking for - it just isn't possible to cram it in there overnight.

By the way, I think "it isn't really ready to be used in animation" is a bit harsh. Having more control over the curves might be helpful to your personal workflow, but can you really say there's no good animation in the website gallery?
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Moho is great for a lot of things, but animation is just not its forte. :lol:
-Keith
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

I must say that i can't see the limits in moho when it comes to 2D animation. If you spend some time you could make almost anything! The using of animation-curving just makes it a bit easier to do a couple of things. Everything can be done if you just use some more keyframes.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: ...

Post by Lost Marble »

Hiddicop wrote:Everything can be done if you just use some more keyframes.
In support of this statement, take a look at the following picture. The curves look pretty much the same as Jeff's example of fairings. The difference is that I added two extra keyframes in Moho. So, you can either edit two extra fairing control points, or two extra keyframes.

I'm not saying that there is no need for fairings - they still may be added in a future update. I'm just saying that you do have some control over the curve (in a slightly different way).

kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Sorry for sounding so insulting. I get fired up about software that doesn't do what I think it should (I feel very strongly about my opinions :wink:). There are a number of very good animations in the gallery (even before the new ease in/out options were added). And thank you for adding the ease in/out options so quickly (before a major update, very nice).

And yes, you can add in any number of keyframes to do the same thing as interpolating (I believe I already said that). Unfortunately, adding numerous keyframes for simple curves is not only cumbersome and time consuming, but prone to errors and uneven or jittery animation. Not to mention if you want to change something or alter it, it becomes very complicated to rework multiple frames rather than just adjusting a tangent.

I understand it's going to take a major overhaul of the graph editor (ie. I have to be patient), and I'd strongly encourage a big effort be put into what can be done with the graph editor (scaling curves, baking out curves, tangent tools for curves, etc.) A lot of really great animation timing can take place just by some simple curve work. it is, after all, the basis by which all of the animation actually takes place. I look forward to seeing a major update that includes this function. I really believe this could be the difference between being a good tool and a great tool for animation.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
jeff

Post by jeff »

I am glad that there seems to be general agreement with my views above, but to set the record straight; I do agree that you can create acceleration type moves etc. by adding more keys in the graph mode and that's what I do. It's just that it is a lot more work than it should be.

I thought that until LM tackles the problem more fully in some future version, at the very least we could have separate ease in and ease out options which would be an acceleration move and deceleration move. Seems pretty straightforward to me, though I'm no programmer. As to the present implementation; I have absolutely no idea what these two new options are for.

Jeff
interfector

Not Its Forte?

Post by interfector »

Hmm.

Reading this thread is a bit like watching hipsters in a coffeeshop talking about how George Bush stole the election. Hey... if you really think so, get out there and lobby. Or at least work for some lobbyists.
I have only been animating for a short while, but I can say this with little fear of being out of line: curves are curves. Working with audio is much the same. I remember a day (not so long ago, really) when I had to fade point-to-point. It's crumby work, but it got the job done.
Nowadays, there's automatable crossfading with pre-defined curves, and that helps rather a great deal, but when we're talking about fine-adjusting a track's volume based on the other elements at work within a song you still come to a point when it's simpler to enter the damned points than to whine about how long it's taking you to adjust the parameters with the presets and auto-fades.
I would imagine from what little I know about animation that those adjustments are mostly identical in terms of time versus product, save rendering time. You sit patiently, drawing curves and watching the previewed output. How, then, is Moho so incapable of animation? Why is animation not its forte? I say it is, predominantly based on my understanding that Moho is an animation program. Gasp.
But apparently it is still burgeoning. I don't think they could do any wrong at this point. It is not only harsh to say that it can't be used for animation, it is wildly inaccurate. I'm quite sure that, to the right animator, it would prove more than useful. But all of you taking issue with Moho's capabilities (or, in this case, ever-so-slight bereftness of) are really just making comparisons between Moho and other, arguably superior animation programs. Why quibble? Is the price not to your liking, or do you just have to attempt to diminish their efforts in the meagerest of ways? Either way, you're crazy (and apparently far too impatient to be terribly good at producing much of anything... see how easy it is to make a possibly inaccurate, indisputably crap statement?).
So, hey... I'm all for dissenting opinions, but I just don't see any legitimacy in those remarks. After all, the point has already been made exhaustively. Do you really think that your caterwauling will assist them in any way? You have an excellent animation program which I am certain will continue to improve by leaps and bounds, and still you trash it based on a technological inadequacy that wasn't even an issue ten years ago.
Okay. I've said my peace, but if you have to knock the product, why even waste your time trolling around to see what others think of it? If you even read this post, you are proving me right. Go hang out on some expert's animation website and discuss the intricacies of intelligent particle dynamics. Boo-hoo.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Hear,hear, Interfector!

Well stated, and in pretty good agreement with my own thinking. The new version is not even a month and a half old, there was a lot of commentary during beta testing, and 6 updates for bugfixes and new features besides. Nothing is perfect, nor will satisfy every single user under the sun. But it can for many. One of the main reasons I welcomed the scripting interface, and why I've spent time I could have been animating (or making a living) tweaking the tools to peoples requests. Because it can be done. If something can be done, try it yerself. If it has to come from the developer, give him a minute. Many companies, you could wait for months for a simple bug fix. This seemed to be a rewrite slmost from the ground up, so ironing out things will necessarily take a little time. Still has seemed damn little to me.

Seems, from the record, most things people think are really needed will appear sooner than you think.

--Brian
AcouSvnt

Re: Not Its Forte?

Post by AcouSvnt »

interfector wrote:Why is animation not its forte?
If you're giving any weight to my own comment in your general assessment of this thread, don't; it was a facetious wisecrack. :)
-Keith
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I feel guilty for even replying to your post interfector. Up until now we have had few hotheads trying to start flame wars. Most have been able to see an argument cooling down and been able to join in without being insulting and actually carry on an intelligent conversation. This thread, it seems, had finished up, we understood where Lost Marble was coming from and he understood us. We apologized and had moved on. Thanks for picking at the scab, we all appreciate it. I was hoping this board would remain free of flames for much longer. Unfortunately, I'm letting my ego get the best of me today and I'm responding. On that end, you win, Interfector. Yay for ignorance and anger.
Reading this thread is a bit like watching hipsters in a coffeeshop talking about how George Bush stole the election. Hey... if you really think so, get out there and lobby. Or at least work for some lobbyists.
Isn't that exactly what we're doing by posting here? The forum is our voice, our lobby. Had we been sitting around in a remote forum without Lost Marble's knowledge, bad mouthing Moho, then you would have an argument. At best, you have an argument that this thread should be in "Feature Requests".
How, then, is Moho so incapable of animation?... It is not only harsh to say that it can't be used for animation, it is wildly inaccurate.
You are correct. And if you had bothered to read the rest of the posts before posting your insulting rant, you would have found that I've already apologized for my previous statement. I let my frustration get the better of me and posted an insult instead of a cohesive plea to Lost Marble. Again, I apologize, Moho is a fine and dandy animation app.
So, hey... I'm all for dissenting opinions...why even waste your time trolling around to see what others think of it? If you even read this post, you are proving me right.
So dissenting opinions are ok until you've said your piece and then the argument is suddenly shut down? Sounds like someone who's afraid to be disagreed with. And doesn't your post prove your own point about intellectual snobbery? Why are you trolling around caring what others ask for from Lost Marble? Plenty of people request things I could care less about and even find silly to request, but I do my best to refrain from chiming in and telling them what a bad idea it is. Why? What do I care if Lost Marble decides to develop it or not? If they can put it in the next release then they will. If they can't they won't. Me saying "I don't need it," doesn't help anyone. What may be useless to me, may be a crucial tool to someone else. Again, what's it to you if we ask for additional features and try to explain why?

I apologize to eveyone involved for even suggesting that Moho not be used for animation. It was false, and insulting, and took away from the actual discussion. My strong feelings stem from Moho being such a good program that when it doesn't do something that I thought was an industry standard, I get frustrated. Next time I promise I'll take a breath before posting an insult to Moho or its creators. I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating it's very impressive how calm Lost Marble remains in such arguments and how often our requests are realized so quickly. I also apologize for contributing to this minor flame war.

Fairings/tangents/curve controls, whatever you call them, it would be nice to have, I look forward to an upgrade that has them. Thank you.

Kdiddy

Ps. Are you still reading Interfector?
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Don't you all know by now that your opinion only counts when I agree with you? So now I'm here to set this thing straight once and for all.

The first couple of posts were a bit too harsh, in particular kdiddy's "hobby toy" statement. He knows that was not the best thing to type, so all is forgiven. If Interfector had read other posts by Kdiddy he'd known that he always has Moho's best interest in mind, he's a "good 'un". Unfortunately Interfector didn't get the joke about Moho not being suited for animation (there was a smilie) and that was probably "the drop". He responded out of rage and passion and defended Moho while going a bit too far and insulting some others. And then the battle started...

The funny thing is both sides have the same opinion, Moho is the program of choice. One side is a bit too eager to get to the finishing line and can't wait for new features, the other side doesn't really challenge that opinion but crushes it. Two parties blinded by their passion for their loved one (that's poetic man, dig it dude).

So everything is OK now, Moho is already good and with time will even get better. I forgive those silly little beta posts and look forward to your new and improved release posts (like the metaphor, do you?).

Don't thank me for this clarification, that's just the kinda guy I am!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
interfector

Post by interfector »

Oof... you got me.

> Up until now we have had few hotheads trying to start flame wars. Most have been able to see an argument cooling down and been able to join in without being insulting and actually carry on an intelligent conversation.

For your information, I wasn't attempting to "start [a] flame war," neither am I a hothead. Not that you would know. You've never met me, and therefor it would be exceedingly difficult for you to make any estimation as to my disposition based on what little information I've given you to work with. Even after having witnessed such an eager refusal of your criticism, it would be impossible to convince anyone with two functioning neurons that you understood my motivations here.
Still, you persist, angry as ever. It is all too evident that you consider yourself exempt from such policies of politeness, so I shall, for the record, and in such a manner that even the simplest of minds can comprehend, state my purpose, once and for all.

> We apologized and had moved on.

From what? Your initial post? Thanks a bundle. Naturally, if you'd never said anything in the first place, you wouldn't be meritmongeringly defending your words now. But I digress.

> Thanks for picking at the scab, we all appreciate it.

Thanks for your sarcasm. I, for one, recognize it. Not that it was veiled in the least.

> On that end, you win, Interfector. Yay for ignorance and anger.

I accept, and horray! Of course, here is yet another example of your presumed superority getting the best of you. Am I not to consider this last line insulting? And if I am to consider it an insult, why would I care about what you find insulting? Check it: I don't, especially now.

> And if you had bothered to read the rest of the posts before posting your insulting rant, you would have found that I've already apologized for my previous statement. I let my frustration get the better of me and posted an insult instead of a cohesive plea to Lost Marble.

Alas, good sense is wasted on the truly ignorant. You accuse me of being insulting. Then, as if you were some untouchable god of reason, you proclaim that you had "posted an insult." (Note: as evidenced by my last post, I knew that already.) And then, even more insultingly, you insult me. Just where is your head at, friend? Because for the life of me, I can't understand how an individual could take themselves so seriously, and still be such a waffling class-act.
I did "bother" to read the entire thread, incidentally. You assume far too much, and thus far I would have to say that you are coming off as far more of a hothead than I am, but that, too, is open to discussion. Do read on.

> So dissenting opinions are ok until you've said your piece and then the argument is suddenly shut down?

Funny, I don't remember saying that. But it seems as if you're the King of Baseless Assumptions, seeing how you know everything about me. Let's call a spade a spade. If someone says something stupid, I have the right to say so, even after he/she apologizes. (And just because you believe that something is true doesn't make it so.)

> At best, you have an argument that this thread should be in "Feature Requests".

Nope. At worst, I have a sound argument that you have unwisely chosen your words. Several times now, but most particularly throughout this, your most recent missive.

> Sounds like someone who's afraid to be disagreed with. And doesn't your post prove your own point about intellectual snobbery?

Okay... suit yourself. I don't mind being disagreed with... not even if the origin of said disagreement is a mewling crybaby such as yourself. All revolution and change are born of dissenting opinion, and if you knew anything about me you'd know that I know that better than most. And no, my statements prove nothing. I never said they did. But if you want to call me an "intellectual snob" for stating my opinion, so be it. I find it humorous, though, that you of all people would say so.

> Again, what's it to you if we ask for additional features and try to explain why?

Not much. And if that's all you had done, you wouldn't be indignantly backpeddling now. I refuse to defer, however, as you seem to be enjoying this far too much to be teeming with clear-minded virtuosity. Perhaps you were neglected as a child... I just don't know.

> I apologize to eveyone involved for even suggesting that Moho not be used for animation. It was false, and insulting, and took away from the actual discussion.

Thank you. Again, following such an admission, who the hell do you think you are to criticise anyone else for being insulting? And who are you to further insult someone you accuse of such allegedly mindless chicanry? Please feel free to "enlighten" me... I am beside myself with anticipation.

> Are you still reading Interfector?

But of course. Are you still holding a grudge, or can we stop insulting one another? Let me say without a trace of irony that I appreciate your input, honestly, and further that I have only written this to show you how errant you are in accusing anyone of anything.
Nobody's perfect, but if you're going to insult someone, kindly refrain from doing so during the course of a message by which you intend to correct their insulting ways. Really, if you were attempting to make a point, it backfired. I may be unapologetically insulting, but at least I'm only infrequently hypocritical.

P.S. I deplore smilies and emoticon, so I rarely pay them any mind. Many apologies to AcouSvnt for the confusion.
Last edited by interfector on Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
backwaterblues

that's all i can take

Post by backwaterblues »

where's your animation, interfecter?

let's see it. Yup, a challenge!
If it's good for ya' , just do it, dude