What is the red dot in the layer pallette mean?

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

nama_rupa

What is the red dot in the layer pallette mean?

Post by nama_rupa »

I noticed some layers have a red dot on them and was wondering what that means?

Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The red dot indicates that the mesh layer is "optimized" for Flash output... it can be exported to Flash without any trouble.

If you lose the red dot... uh... something "goes wrong"...

I don't export to flash so that's as far as I can with this explanation.

-vern
nama_rupa

Post by nama_rupa »

haha. good to know. thanks. damn you are the man with the answers. Yeah I am not exporting to flash either. Just going to after effects.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Not so much that something goes wrong, but that Flash isn't set up to deal with what point or bone animation will give it, so it'll create, possibly, really huge files. Flash has a hardcoded limit on the number of vector points you can have in one file, and if you exceed it, the player blows up. A lot of flash animation, as I understand it, tends to involve shapes you move around. A massive simplification, I know, but exporting from Moho, when you use point/bone animation, makes it create a whole new vector object, with all those points, every time you make a change or Moho interpolates a point between keyframes. And that can make Flash, very, very unhappy. The red "optimized" dot just means that that vector layer will be exported as a single Flash... object? instance? symbol? Whatever the proper term, the whole layer is only there once in the SWF file, so it makes the file far smaller.

So straight cutout animation style (including images that aren't "warped by bones") make a far smaller Flash file. Just a warning about the limitation of the format.