moho vs flash - The reason for the swf size diffrence.

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Postality

moho vs flash - The reason for the swf size diffrence.

Post by Postality »

Moho exports it's flash animations as a bunch of diffrent layers.
flash on the other hand merges all those layers into a single layer.

Here's my proof / example.

I tried using this program (SWF Quicker) and I imported a moho swf render. it was in a bunch of diffrent layers and took quite some time for it to load them all.

I then ran the swf file through flash and re-exported it with flash. flash took those layers and made 1 layer out of them.

I opened the new swf in this program again, this time it loaded in seconds and there was 1 single layer and the animation was identical.

I then ran a test to see how the compression was in this program, and the result was this. moho's render was basically the same, quite large.

the flash render compressed the same way in the same program was 1/2 the size if not less (Can remember EXACTLY). both files where uncompressed at time of rendering/compressing.

So it seems to me that this is the reason for moho having such large swf exports over flash exports.

Another thing I'd like to note is that because moho exports swf files this way if you make the flash animation full screen it's VERY choppy and not very enjoyable (I can only assume this is because of the TONS of layers it's using for each frame.) Whereas the flash single layer export runs nice and smooth when in full screen mode. (again assuming it's because it's only using 1 single layer.)

very interesting to see this result. I was amazed at the diffrence this could have made, but the evidence is there.

Any replies about this?

as always any reply is better then no preply.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
cribble

Post by cribble »

Wow, now thats what i call alot of time on your hands. Good work.

I think MoHo would compress SWF's better if it were to export as a single layer. But because i'm not the king of scripting, i don't know wherever the script is capable of exporting in such a way... if you get me.

Lost marble, any thoughts here?
--Scott
cribble.net
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

welll the swf format doesnt actually have 'layers' it has levels, each instance must/should have its own level.

In flash the layers you see in the authoring environment don't really exist in the end product. Its just an easy visual way for a user to sort and seperate different elements.

Even if you do add a new layer in flash, check the filesize... it will only go up 20 bytes...and thats only the information of creating another movieclip instance.

There are many factors involved in the compression;
Flash uses their own proprietary swf compiler.. moho uses an open source compiler ming. No doubt flash has people working effortlessly to get compression down on their own format.

Moho uses a different vector format to flash, and when converting it creates more points to keep original shape. (use circle tool, creates 4 point circle, import into flash, the circle is 8 points)

When moho exports it creates a symbol for EVERY shape in a layer, regardless of whether its ever shown. Instead of a symbol for every layer (which would make more sence if you attach an entire layer to a bone) so when the red star comes up the layer should be one symbol.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

oo another point i forgot is when exporting from moho, decrease your frame rate. because moho, like any good animation program will render a frame for each frame... wheras flash, frame rate is just an estimated speed thing

ie if you export 24 frames from moho, it will be double the size as if you exported 12 frames.