Can we do away with the annoyances?

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Postality

Can we do away with the annoyances?

Post by Postality »

What I'm talking about is those little messages that come up.
for example:

I got to add an image layer and it's telling me that I'm going to pick an image or movie. and I have to keep clicking on the OKAY button every time I add one.

When clearly when the dialog comes up to select what it is you want to use it shows you down at the bottom what files are supported...
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

That thing bugs me too. What we should add is a "don't tell me again"-type of checkbox. But we can't get rid of it completely - the reason it's there is to try to prevent repeat questions. You have no idea how many times support@lostmarble.com has been asked "What image format should I use?". We get that so much that my ears bleed thinking about it. :cry:

Also, many, many people don't realize that you can imort movie files into image layers.

Although most people probably ignore the little alert that comes up, hopefully it will inform some users and cut down our support emails a little bit.
Postality

Post by Postality »

I can see where you're coming from, and understadn why it's there. but people like us that know how moho works (well I'm pretty good...) don't need a reminder all the time.

So will there be an option to turn those things off? be cause they really do slow things down too, let alone being annoying.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Lost Marble wrote:Also, many, many people don't realize that you can imort movie files into image layers.
Is this only true of the Windows version?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

jorgy wrote:Is this only true of the Windows version?
Windows and Mac. AVI on Windows, QuickTime on Windows and Mac.
Postality

Post by Postality »

I think there should be an option to turn those off.

Even the "are you sure you want to delete this? this operation is not undoable" kinda windows.

the people that know moho and how it works should have the opertunity to turn all those new user warnings off.
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

But what I think LostMarble was saying is that even the people that dont know moho that well will just turn them off, and miss out on a lot of info. And then they will email LM and ask questions that would have been answered if they just didnt turn of the info box. :D
cribble

Post by cribble »

Just a very simple request to Lost Marble. In the MoHo forums, post a topic, under the FAQ, telling us what images and movies can be imported, via the image and tracing layer. Because i'm not 100% sure what can be imported and what can't be.... and it'll be the first post in that forum section :D
--Scott
cribble.net
Postality

Post by Postality »

I'm sure they've had countless PM's, e-mail, phone calls whatever you can think of about "what images / movies are supported" but I'm sure they even get those kinda questions when it comes to "how do I attach bones to the drawing" etc. simple answer READ THE MANUAL. they can just put a small part in the manual about the warnings, the supported files etc. that way for those people that don't know can read the manual, and for those that DO know don't have to deal with the popups all the time. For me the popups are just as annoying as a software nagging the crap out of you to register etc. you shouldn't have to deal with that kinda thing if you own it.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The new manual has two pages describing the import and export formats. Look in the Reference section.
Postality

Post by Postality »

see, there you have it. So why is it we still got to have those annoying popups? =(
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Well,

1. Nobody reads manuals.
2. We've only been talking about this since after beta 4 was released. Give us a chance to update the program.
Postality

Post by Postality »

Fair enough.

I see the point though. I'm sure there's more new users then there is verterans. and for those that are new probably hound you to death with simple questions.

I've seen alot of question even in the old unofficial forum about things that where explained in the tutorials etc. that must be a pain in the butt for you.
cribble

Post by cribble »

*Arm in the air*

To a new non-annoying furture :shock: pop
--Scott
cribble.net
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

This could be solved by allowing this popup to be turned off in the .settings file, so power users (who know what kind of image layers they'd like) could disable it themselves (after having gotten to know the program).

Not an elegant solution, perhaps, but it means people know what they're doing before they commit to the change (hmm, maybe this is already in the .settings file... haven't checked). :)

Kinds regards,
Dave