MoHo 5 Beta 4: BUG?

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Postality

Post by Postality »

Well, I tried installing fresh. And again I got nothing.

HOWEVER, I had to reboot to install something else, and after I rebooted it seemed to cure this lasso problem.

maybe it just needed a reboot? in anycase it's working now.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Myles-
Mine was a clean install, on a Win2k Pro (SP3) machine. Built the computer just after the first beta came out (one of the reasons I wanted some spiffier gear), so I never had 4.6 on this one. I've been wanting to use the lasso, a lot, but it hasn't worked for me. Tried the reboot as well, no luck. I've had a few wonky things happening, which I have a sneaking suspicion was due to my installation of th MS .NET framework (Mistake!). That seemed to be when things got a wee bit wierd. I've had a problem with ArtRage (which I like a lot) that disables all of my shortcuts (including the start menu and quicklaunch bar) after I launch it. I installed the .NET and first used Artrage at 'bout the same time, and the developer and I have been kinda baffled by the problem. I wonder if there are some DLL changes the .NET made that are muddling some system calls that are confusing things, including the Lua interpreter. I'd be curious if there is a correlation, with others having the problem with the lasso. It's pretty rough conjecture on my part, but if a program works differently on different Windows machines I usually figure on a rogue DLL sending a call into the ether.

Dunno. But I miss my lasso.

--Brian
Postality

Post by Postality »

Well, it's not working again.

I closed the app and reloaded it and the lasso's broken again...

This isn't fun...LOL
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Postality, spasmodic_cheese, 7feet, or anyone else who has a broken lasso tool: Can you try this for me?

1. Open the file .../Moho/scripts/tool/lm_select_points.lua in a text editor.
2. On line 308 (or thereabouts) you should see a section that looks like this:

-- test code to view the lasso's shape
--mouseEvent.view:Refresh()
--LM.Snooze(1000)

Un-comment the last two of those lines so that it looks like this:

-- test code to view the lasso's shape
mouseEvent.view:Refresh()
LM.Snooze(1000)

3. Save the file and re-start Moho.
4. Draw some simple shape (circle or freehand curve or whatever) and try the lasso tool again.
5. Describe what you see.

What you *should* see if everything is working is, after you draw out the lasso shape, the screen should go all black with the lasso region filled in white. After a second, the screen should go back to normal. Do you see this? Is the lasso region white? Does it match up correctly with the region you drew out with the lasso tool?

Here's what you should see:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/lasso.html

Thanks in advance to anyone who can try this out.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

D'oh! I think I figured it out. For those of you with a broken lasso, is your screen set to 16 bit color? That seems to break the lasso - we'll get that fixed "tout de suite".

If your screen is set to 16 bits, now might be a good time to switch to 32 bit color if you can. :wink:
Postality

Post by Postality »

well I tried switching back and forth from 16 Bit to 32 bit and YES you're right. 16 Bit screws it up. works fine and dandy in 32 bit however.

seeing as you've said that you'll be fixing this I will assume that I can go back to 16 bit once the next beta or Final comes out?

Thanx for getting that one, glad to help point out the bugs =)

ALSO is there any way that we can fix it for ourselves right now? if so, tell us how =)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Postality wrote:seeing as you've said that you'll be fixing this I will assume that I can go back to 16 bit once the next beta or Final comes out?
Yes, it's actually already fixed here for the final release. You can go back to 16 bit, although I don't know why you would want to...
Postality wrote:ALSO is there any way that we can fix it for ourselves right now? if so, tell us how =)
Unfortunately, no. It's not a Lua bug, but a bug in Moho's C++ code, so the fix will have to wait for the next release.
Postality

Post by Postality »

Fair enough.

The reason why I use 16 Bit is because there's a few software programs that I use that refuse to run in 32 bit...

and it doesn't bother me much because the visual diffrence isn't all that diffrent.

Though I wish the updated thier software more then once every year and make it so I can use it in 32 bit... If only I know how to hack and stop it from poping up that silly window saying "16 bit colors required" I'd be okay.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Yes, it's actually already fixed here for the final release.
Am I reading too much into this? Am I jumping to conclusions? Is the next release the final release? :shock: Now I'm starting to sound like a crazed Star Wars fan. I hope you're happy. :wink:
Postality

Post by Postality »

Seeing as they have all the major bugs filtered out and these are basically the only last few things that seem like need fixing, I don't see it being long now before a final comes out.

I'm just waiting for the tutorials. Postality LOVES the tutorials. They are so good and informative that I picked up MoHo the first day after reading them and following them I was able to make a short movie in no time. MoHo IS the #1 choice for me.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I'm just waiting for the tutorials. Postality LOVES the tutorials. They are so good and informative that I picked up MoHo the first day after reading them and following them I was able to make a short movie in no time. MoHo IS the #1 choice for me.
No kidding. I can't wait to find out the details on the new features (I just don't have the time for poking around till I get it like I used to).

It's one of the few pieces of software that doesn't feel that using it should be a secret to be unlocked with a $50 book.

-raise frosty mug of beer-
TO MOHO!
-crowd raises their frosty mugs of beer-
TO MOHO!
-more cheers from the crowd and down the frosty mug of beer-
-music starts up again, an upbeat Irish jig-

:D
7feet

Post by 7feet »

You can go back to 16 bit, although I don't know why you would want to...
Mostly I use 16 bit 'cause my new computer is currently using shared memory for video, I ran out of money when building it and didn't get as much ram as I like, so 16 bit saves me about 50 MB of my precious memory over 32 bit. A temporary situation, but as it stands 32 bit eats up too much memory I need for progs.

Really, you must be the most responsive developer I've ever heard of. Hats off to ya, LM.

--Brian
cribble

Post by cribble »

kdiddy13 wrote:
-raise frosty mug of beer-
TO MOHO!
-crowd raises their frosty mugs of beer-
TO MOHO!
-more cheers from the crowd and down the frosty mug of beer-
-music starts up again, an upbeat Irish jig-

:D
Now thats more like it :lol: Irish to ... err..... the pub and back.

(ps: the "laughing" Emoticon looks like it has a lip problem)
--Scott
cribble.net
DetoNaToR

Post by DetoNaToR »

One, more bug. When i inport image (immage layer) to Moho and then trying to export to .swf, Moho crashes.
Postality

Post by Postality »

You might want to make seperate threads for bugs end entitle them

Moho 5 Beta 4: bug report

It would make it easier and faster for lost marble to find and fix bugs.

but for the crashing I have no idea why it would be crashing. I've used several images in this animation:

http://postality-knights.no-ip.org/MoHo/index.html

And everything is fine.