illustrator import painfully slow

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

bellissimo

illustrator import painfully slow

Post by bellissimo »

When I try to import illustrator art...it takes forever
and even simple shapes end up having hundreds of points.
Is there a more efficient way to bring in illustrator artwork
that retains the simplicity and point structure of the original art?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I discovered the slow import problem right away.

I am not sure which of the following fixes this problem... I will let you know when I know for sure...

-------------------
Make sure you have saved the illustrator without any layers... in the layers triangle option thingy select "flatten artwork".

Save your illustrator file as a lower version. I use 5.5 or 6... I think... not sure... but I think it is the layers thing that slows down the import not the version... I should check this... but once I got it working that is what I do.

I have not had any problems with gazillions of points in Moho from illustrator... it could be that my Illustrator files are already very "point sparse" to begin with.

Try keeping the point count low on the illustrator files. I tend to only put in points around places I need body joints.

Uh... just to be clear i have only been using Moho for about a week. I may not be 100% certain how the points get translated from Illustrator.

Vernon Zehr
box

Post by box »

I recently imported 10 simple rectangles, 1 layer, ai8, and it took moho about 2 minutes to import.
Well, my machine is a G4/733, not the fastest nowadays, but here you can see that AI import IS slow. I am afraid we just have to live with it.
Andrewstopheles

Post by Andrewstopheles »

I saw somewhere someone had posted this - using Illustrator version after 8 - if you use, say, Illustrator CS2, and save as ai8, still a problem. Something to do with the way newer versions of Illustrator write ai8 files. I am having the same problem. :(
Andrew Allen