Animating Single Bones in the timeline

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

timsep

Animating Single Bones in the timeline

Post by timsep »

Hi everyone first time posting. i'm using the demo of moho. i've been working in 3ds max for 4 years and understand rigging and animating a rig i there with no prob. In Moho though when i animated a bone, lets say an arm bone, in the timeline i get the keyframe. Now when i go to say the torso bone, for some reason i see the other key frames on the timeline also. i've used the switches on the time line, "selected bone angle" and "bone angle" to show and hide the keys, but things are still going weird. If anyone can help me figure how to just have a specific bones animation, rotation or whatever properties show up please let me know. I usually just rotate my bones and stay away from the translate tool.
thanks in advance :!:
myles

Post by myles »

Hello timsep,

As you've stated, there are two channels in the timeline for bone rotation - bone angle (black icon) and selected bone angle (red icon).

Bone angle (black icon) shows keyframe markers for all bones.
Selected bone angle (red icon) shows markers for just the selected bone (which also, naturally, creates a marker in the all bones angle channel).

You can rotate the bones using two tools - the rotate tool and the manipulate tool. The rotate tool (useful for forward kinematics) should give you what you are looking for - keyframes for individual bones in the selected bone channel (and also the all bones angle channel). However, if you use the manipulate tool to rotate bones (useful for inverse kinematics), you'll create individual keyframe markers for all bones in an IK chain (rotate the foot and you'll also get keyframe markers for the shin bone and thigh bone).

One problem that seems to occur with new Moho users is an incorrectly structured bone hierarchy. Go to frame 0, and select the Reparent Bone tool to see a visual representation of the hierarchy (red arrows point from child bone to parent bone).

Perhaps you could upload a sample file somewhere that demonstrates the problem?

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
timsep

works

Post by timsep »

thanks soo much for the help, i was just having issues with the fact that every bone gets a key from the ik usage. i usually animate in fk anyways
thanks again
Tim