(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

My favorite thing so far about 5.2????

Export to Photoshop --- in layers! (Layers is the key, the magic word!)
Now this opens up a whole new world of fun possibilities. :D :D :D
(Tip: Think Photoshop filters, Photoshop´s great masking abilities, actions applied to layers...whoo-hoo!!! :D )
cribble

Post by cribble »

I too love the Photoshop Layer export. I've been wanting this for quite sometime now and now that it has happen, i'm going to let hell break loose.
--Scott
cribble.net
DaleG

new in 5.2?

Post by DaleG »

Can you import layers from a photoshop file?
What else is different between 5.2 and 5.1?
Sevenmile

Post by Sevenmile »

Since I'm not at home and I haven't been able to test 5.2, I don't know the answer to your first question, though that feature is very easy to work around if it doesn't exist...

The answer to your second question you'll probably find here:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1927
/Smile
DaleG

announcements

Post by DaleG »

thanks! I searched the forum for 5.2 and couldnt find it.. completely missed the category of announcements... now if I can figure out how to import a layered photoshop file... (I thought I had to convert to png file with no layers..)
Rasheed

Re: announcements

Post by Rasheed »

DaleG wrote:thanks! I searched the forum for 5.2 and couldnt find it.. completely missed the category of announcements...
Perhaps you should try to subscribe to the usergroup mailing list, then you get the announcements and relevant links from L.M. sent by e-mail once your membership is approved.
DaleG

photoshop

Post by DaleG »

joined.. and added my email address to profile..

Im still confused about photoshop.. If I import a psd file it shows up as broken link, so how can you import a layered file and preserve layers?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Some remarks:

Mind you, only first level layer(group)s seem to be exported as layers. Layers within layers are merged.

Also, the background color (from the Project Settings) is always transparant, unlike Render or Export Movie.

The layer names are the same as in your Moho file.

I can import PSD files from Moho into Gimp and CinePaint without problems, but I read there are problems with Photoshop. Please, see if you can read the files I've prepared in this zip archive (167 Kb):
1) objects.moho (source file)
2) objects0001.psd (exported from Moho)
3) objects0001-mod.psd (imported/exported through Gimp)

If you have troubles importing 2, but not 3, the cause is probably Moho.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

DaleG wrote:now if I can figure out how to import a layered photoshop file... (I thought I had to convert to png file with no layers..)
From Moho announcement:
"* Option to export as a sequence of layered PSD (Photoshop) images
Top-level Moho layers become layers in the PSD file.
Opacity and blending modes are exported intelligently, so they can later be tweaked in Photoshop.
Motion blur is not exported to PSD. "

It doesn´t say you can IMPORT layered PSD image files into Moho, it says you can EXPORT images from Moho as layered PSD (Photoshop) image files.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Correct, Moho can now export Photoshop files, but not import them.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Toontoonz wrote:It doesn´t say you can IMPORT layered PSD image files into Moho, it says you can EXPORT images from Moho as layered PSD (Photoshop) image files.
However, I assume one can export separate layers as PNG files from Photoshop and import those as separate layers into Moho. I also assume Photoshop has the necessary tools to automate this layer-by-layer export process. So this might be a workaround.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

And then once you play around with them in Photoshop, you can save them as .png files and take them back into Moho! :D
I see lots of fun things happening and possibilities with this new feature!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Rasheed wrote:Also, the background color (from the Project Settings) is always transparant, unlike Render or Export Movie.
I think of this more like PNG or a movie with an alpha channel, which will leave out the background color also. The assumption is that if you're exporting PSD, then you probably have some compositing/post-processing operation in mind and you're either going to layer the animation on top of some other background or maybe experiment with different background choices.

I guess we could include a solid-colored layer for the background, but it would also be easy to add one in during the post-processing phase.
Rasheed wrote:Please, see if you can read the files I've prepared in this zip archive:
2) objects0001.psd (exported from Moho)
3) objects0001-mod.psd (imported/exported through Gimp)
Both of these open fine for me in Photoshop. Is anyone having problems with these sample files? If so, which version of Photoshop are you using?
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I'd have to agree that photoshop export is my fav feature. Though there is so much I like about this update. Thank you LM for making this a free update.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.