moho 5 beta 4 for linux?

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

AlexPico

moho 5 beta 4 for linux?

Post by AlexPico »

As there is a beta 3 for macOSX, should I hope that it will be for linux in the near future? Or after the official relase? Or never!!!!?? :cry:

Regards.

Alex
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I think the status of the Linux version is currently undecided. As I understand it, sales of the Linux version of Moho have been extremely poor.
myles

Post by myles »

Drat :( , and just as I'm moving slowly across to Linux - I see Mainconcept's MainActor video editor is now available commercially for Linux - I was thinking Moho, Audacity, and MainActor as the basis of a nice animation environment.

Hmm, half a sec, back up there.

Moho sales are, as far as I know, only a cross-platform serial number - no indication of which platform it is for. Did you mean Moho Linux downloads have been extremely poor ?

Ah, well, I hope the Linux version continues, but I understand the cross-platform support must be pretty high, and there might not be enough Linux-based Moho users to justify it. :(
I'd rather Lost Marble and Moho remain viable and continue :)

Regards, Myles.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Yes, the measurement is really downloads, not sales, but the two are correlated. If you take into account the number of Linux downloads, combined with feedback from Linux users asking about a GPL version, the Linux version of Moho has been disappointing. That's not to say we won't be updating it to version 5, but it is lower on the list of priorities.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

i actually bought moho 4 originally going to linux, but with my in-the-mail tablet pc im staying with windows...

perhaps there could be a port for skyos.org when skyos gets big and used widely (if it does) ;) ;) ;)
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I would like to use Moho 5 on Linux if/when it's available. I have a Windows 'puter and a Gentoo box, and I just feel much more comfortable/happy on the latter, so I'm really only using Windows when I have to use those certain few apps (I would just wipe the hard drive clean and make a second Linux box if it weren't for those).
-Keith
tknaps

Post by tknaps »

Same here really, part of my reason for recently purchasing Moho was that it runs (or ran) on my favourite OS. I'll probably end up using it on both windows and linux though, as all the good paint programs are currently mostly windows only (still trying to decide what to buy in that department...)

Of course, if there's no ROI on doing a port of Moho 5 to linux, I fully understand it if Lost Marble decides not to put any effort into it (are you not using a portable GUI toolkit btw?). Maybe Lost Marble could benefit from a dual licensing scheme though, something like Trolltech does with Qt? Or maybe not, who knows.

I'll start a poll to see how big the linux interest is, at leastfor the forum users.

Cheers,
Tarjei
zoiba

Post by zoiba »

I think it would be an error to stop the Linux version of Moho, at least for marketing purpose only. I, for example, have known of Moho through the Linux community and I have bought it because the linux version of the software. I have update my Moho since the beta 1 because is a great piece of software and it run on Linux so when I fully switch to Linux I can still work with current project files. By the way, current beta of Moho can run pretty well on my Linux partition. I use Mandrake 10 and have installed the Wine distribution that come with it. I surely prefer a native version of Moho running on my Linux but the way Windows version of Moho run on linux is very usable.
AlexPico

Post by AlexPico »

Me too, the reason I bought moho is because it runs on Linux. otherwise I would search anywhere else. Besides how they know that the linux sales has been poor as the license is the same. Please keep doing the Linux version. :idea:
SentinelT

moho for linux in the future?

Post by SentinelT »

We have 15 computers (with more on order) in our multimedia studios, some are running windoze and some are various linux distro's, we are slowly converting those on windoze to linux due to programs like moho and others running on linux.
It would be a great shame if lost marble were to stop allowing linux users access to their software by not producing cross-platform versions.

I will never use windows again, in my capacity as both audio and video engineer for the studio's or at home in private, I have no need to anymore as i have found software that is just as professional as most windows versions, for this reason I have been branching into 2d animation and drawing with moho on my madrake 10 official box and love it for its eas of use and its ability to run on linux.

Lost Marble please remember, a few years ago (4) if you asked the average computer user what they thought of Linux the answer would have been "Whats that?" (an answer I still get today sometimes) that has changed dramaticaly to (Yeh I've heard of it whats it like?) so imagine how many more will be using it in another four years!
now ask yourself how many of those people will be professionals in the multimedia work force?
do you really want to shut the door on them?
Too many places to see and too many things to learn.
But it will be fun trying anyway
jorgy

Linux version

Post by jorgy »

I feel I must chime in here with my thoughts. I too bought moho because there was a linux version. The combination of audacity and moho seems killer to me. Please count me in as a happy linux user of moho, and please continue support for the linux version.
Cuchulainn

Linux Version

Post by Cuchulainn »

The fact that there was a linux version is one of the main reasons I even found Moho, and I've been very pleased with the trial version. I'm hoping to save up enough to purchase a key, and I'd definitely be interested in a version 5. Just thought I'd add to the list of Linux users, and I've already cast my vote.

Cuchulainn
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

It seems that the plan is going to be to keep the Linux version around. It will probably be released after the Mac and Windows versions, but it'll be on the way.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Lost Marble wrote:It seems that the plan is going to be to keep the Linux version around. It will probably be released after the Mac and Windows versions, but it'll be on the way.
Woo hoo! And I'm not just saying that because my linux computer is 3x as fast as my windows laptop (for work) in rendering.... :-)
corstar

Post by corstar »

There's only 2 apps holding me back from the m$ to Linux switch.
They are PS and Flash. I use these regulary and don't want to line Bill Gates pockets anymore for the memory hogging app he gives us.

Is anyone aware of a Flash like or clone for linux?

I could live with using the Gimp, but would love something with more grunt.
Any Idea's?

I would also love to use Moho in Linux form...