Hand-drawn Style Outline...

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

CrAzY Dan

Hand-drawn Style Outline...

Post by CrAzY Dan »

If any of you have seen 'Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends'. I would like the outline style of that but i dont know how to get it. Anyone know???

Here's a link to the Fosters site:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/fosters/

If you can't see what i mean then i would like a hand-drawn style outline

Thanx in advance

CrAzY Dan :wink:
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

They say it is done using Macromedia Flash:
"This is the first Cartoon Network Studios show done in Macromedia Flash, enabling a small staff to produce an entire episode in-house."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419326/trivia
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

But as I looked at the Foster´s characters a bit closer, the drawing style did not remind me of Flash´s drawing style, but rather more like one get´s using Adobe Illustrator.

Sure enough, a little more googling and I found they do the drawing in Adobe Illustrator...this is from apparently one of the guys that works on the show:

"Gordie, we use a combination of Flash, Illustrator, and After Effects on the show. Flash for all the animation, After Effects for compositing and some effects work, and Illustrator for the Backgrounds as well as some details on the characers. Cartoon Network specificly recruited animators who know how to work with Flash. We are all traditional animators and that helps make the show not look "internet Flashy." As far as I know, Toonboom isn't all that popular in the LA animation circles, though I could be wrong. But there are a lot more animators who are familiar with Flash than Toonboom."

The link is here:
http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=341&page=4&pp=10
3rd from the bottom by animated ape.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

This is the company that actually does the animation:
Boulder Media.

They are located in Dublin, Ireland.

http://www.bouldermedia.tv/
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

this is all good but what i wanted was to know if there is an outline that can be used in moho (brush) in the same style as fosters?
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

sorry! :oops:
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

hey 8) I just probably didnt explain properly. :wink:
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

When you say "outline style" what exactly do you mean?
Most of the characters I saw at the website had no outline - their color shape was the outline.

Image Image
Maybe you could post images of the character(s) and the outline you mean? Or do you mean the line that is used for details in the characters?

Or maybe I am looking at the wrong characters....
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

I mean the way the outline is drawn. On the tv the characters do look like they have a different outline, but on the site, they don't. I would like it to look like you have drawn on the computer screen with a pencil and the lines are slightly rough looking.

Do you get me now?
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

If you mean the animation here:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1360

I just used the Freehand tool in Moho and drew. In the "Freehand options" thing at the top of the window I selected "use pen pressure", then drew using my Wacom drawing pad.
I believe one has to have a drawing pad to get the kind of line I got when I drew that. If you draw with a mouse one can´t get it (at least I can´t when I draw with the mouse).

I think I had the line width min width: 1, max width: 3 and had taper start and end checked.
Also had auto close and autofill unchecked. Auto outline was checked.
No autofill because I did not want a color in it.

If you mean the animation here:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1374

I drew it the same way, but to make the lines wiggle around, one goes the drawing layer, double clicks on it, selects the "Vectors" tab.
Then click on "Noisy Outlines" and "animate noise".
The color was a separate layer - just shapes of color.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

I think i am not getting my point across properly. I mean a brush (you know when you select the width and colour of line) that looks like a pencil has drawn it.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Experiment with some of the brushes. Some of them look like a sketchy sort of pencil type outline. Not exactly, though, but there are some nice ones. I would imagine there might be a way to create your own brushes, but I couldn't find it in the manual. That would be a nice addition to Moho.

Jack
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

CrAzY Dan wrote:I think i am not getting my point across properly. I mean a brush (you know when you select the width and colour of line) that looks like a pencil has drawn it.
Read the manual: Tutorial 2.5 Brushes
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Making your own brush is very simple. Just have a white background and draw on it. Everything white will be transparent, everything else will be the brush. Save it as a jpg- or png-file in the brushes-folder (in your moho installation-folder).
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

In fact you may be able to find brushes you have in your other graphics program, open them and save as png to use them; so if you have a 'pencil' brush in one of these then try it.